Saturday, September 03, 2022

The Stranger at the Scrimmage

 



In some ways, there is one place where everything that I am as a sports broadcaster started: Cardinal Stadium in Greenwich, CT.

I was back there today for the first time this season and the first time since I moved to Greenwich.

The occasion was a scrimmage between the Cardinals of Greenwich High and a very good Somers Tuskers team from New York.

Shout out to Westchester County. Somers, of course, is just across the county line from a little ol' place called Mahopac.

So, yeah, I wanted to stop by.

I'm not worried about the result and neither was the scoreboard. That's because it wasn't turned on. To my count, Somers won the scrimmage but it's more about how a team looks. I'll leave that up to Cardinals coach Anthony Morello and his team. Whatever needs fixing will need to be addressed before next Friday at 7 p.m. when they visit Newtown.

That game can be heard on WGCH Radio (1490 am). I don't know about any video/LocalLive plans yet.

As always, things change when dealing with high school sports. Families change. Players change. Sometimes coaches change.

Most of the time, broadcasters don't. Still, the Greenwich football broadcaster sat quietly outside of the booth he used last year following the fancy upgrade to Cardinal Stadium.

I peered into that booth, hoping that Chris Erway and I would be back in there in a few weeks.

There's a sense of nostalgia every time I'm back in Cardinal Stadium. I'm transported back to 2000 and that first game against Norwalk and many games that I've called since then.

"Sean's Hill"

I looked towards the flagpole which will always sit on "Sean's Hill" because that's where Sean had to go so I knew where he was when he accompanied me to games.

I realize I can no longer claim the title of "Voice of Greenwich High School Sports" but I guess I still have a hold on Greenwich football, no matter how much I wonder about that.

To be quite sure, it's fair to say I'm "Voice of Brunswick Sports" now as the Bruins have welcomed me with open arms, handing every game to me, and, no question, I'll be there as much as possible. So I mean no disrespect to Wick when I head over to GHS or vice versa.

I had called games before starting with Greenwich Football but I felt like I had taken on a prestigious gig when I finally did take over calling the Cardinals. Broadcasting Greenwich -- the defending state champions at that time -- was different.

The stadium looks nothing like it did 22 years ago. The stadium project has brought it to a new level but, beyond that, there weren't even lights or turf back in 2000. All games were played on Saturdays at 1:30 on grass.

1:20 pregame show, of course.

So while I didn't talk to anyone, I sat and took it all in. I stayed until it was clear the varsity was done and quietly slipped away.

A mom commented to me as we headed towards the parking lot, thinking I was someone else. My look -- gray t-shirt and khaki shorts -- was similar to the person she thought she was chatting up.

"Somers fan?" she asked.

"Nah. I'm the Greenwich broadcaster," I said.

Her mouth was slightly agape at realizing the soul she was walking and talking with, blissfully passing time talking about the weather.

"Wait," she said. "What's your name? Oh, don't tell me..."

Introductions took place and then she said something that rang important to me. She told me that she had just laid my picture out in the 2022 Greenwich Football Program.

Dutchess Stadium lit up before fireworks

With that, we wished each other well and went in our separate ways. I needed to drive the five strenuous minutes back to the apartment before heading toward Dutchess Stadium.

It's a long commute!

But that's when it hit me. Chris Erway and I are in the program.

We're back for 2022 at Greenwich.

I'm just waiting for the official word from Newtown about booth space but, otherwise, kickoff is at 7 p.m.

6:50 pregame show.

Of course.

No comments: