Thursday, September 08, 2022

On Today's Show

 

London, 4/19/2022

(Music plays)

Hi everyone. Welcome to "Doubleheader." I'm Rob Adams. Nice to have you with us.

That's probably what I would have said had I done a show today. But I did not do a show. I had too many other things going on.

Yet today was one of those days when I really wanted to do a show.

For one thing, it's the first day of the new NFL season and I would have liked to play some of that great football music (you'd know it), make some silly predictions, and just get ready.

High school football finally begins in Connecticut tomorrow so I would have liked to do something with that. Maybe I could get a guest on and have some fun getting pumped up.

The baseball pennant race continues and that's a constant topic to discuss.

But, of course, I'd also have to acknowledge the passing of Her Majesty the Queen. Never afraid to discuss "real world" stuff on my show, that story broke in the early afternoon and it would have been ripe for me to talk about.

What a person and what a life. Just consider everything she saw in her 96 years.

Missteps? Of course. But, overall, she was a person of remarkable grace and class.

As someone who has been to England a few times, I have a slight interest in the monarchy. To be sure, I enjoyed standing outside of Buckingham Palace back in April. 

From there, the show would have included the reaction to her passing. Among the things that stuck out to me was a quick tweet from Reggie Jackson, who said, "“Now we all know I was innocent! Amen! RIP Queen E!.”

(Spoiler alert!)

Remember, in the 1988 film "The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad" Reggie was the Queen's would-be assassin.

I thought it was a moment of levity on a gloomy day. News also broke that Bernard Shaw, the remarkable journalist, had died at 82. Shaw was best-known for his work as an anchor with CNN. I will certainly never forget his chilling reporting from Baghdad as the first Gulf War broke out in 1991.

All of this and more would have made for a full hour of radio. 

I should have been on but the reality was an opportunity to work and I couldn't say no.

So I did a deposition followed by a podcast recording session. 

Then I got a surprise. Sean -- remember him? -- needed to come stay with me in Greenwich. So I met him for dinner and we picked up some groceries.

He's comfortable here and always welcome. Why wouldn't he be?

He's a working man though so he'll get to enjoy driving from here to work in Fishkill tomorrow before driving back here. He'll also do it on Saturday. I'm familiar with that drive.

I'm glad he's here. He hasn't been here since we got back from vacation in August.

Just a friendly reminder: our first high school football broadcast is tomorrow at 6:50 p.m. on WGCH as Greenwich plays at Newtown. Chris Erway and I will have the call. Then we'll be back on LocalLive on Saturday as Brunswick hosts Loomis in a scrimmage at 1 p.m.

Audio will be available on Robcasting.

Like I said, the show would have been a full one.

Cue the music! We're out of time!

And as you get ready for whatever sports you're focusing on, please remember: black is NOT a Mets color! I'm Rob Adams. Thanks for listening to "Doubleheader" on 1490 AM, 105.5 FM, and wgch.com We'll see you next time. So long.

No comments: