Sunday, September 25, 2022

The Big Day Trip

 

I did that!

I made a promise but I wondered if it was too aggressive.

It wouldn't have been wrong to just watch football and rest today. However, Sean and I had talked about a day trip and this was the day we had circled.

At one point, it was tradition to go to The Big E -- The Eastern States Exposition -- as I had been attending the fair since the early 90s.

But by the 2010s, with life being life, the tradition stopped. The last time I went, it was just father and son and we had a pretty good time.

Every year since then we'd passively say that we should go back.

This year, we got a bit more serious about it but we knew it would have to be a Sunday since our schedules are both too crazy.

Sean informed me earlier in the week that he didn't have to work this Sunday. So, we said we'd tentatively plan on going.

We said we'd leave around 7:30 this morning.

I dragged my tired body -- sore from the physicality of the San Francisco trip -- and got ready for the drive to West Springfield, MA.

We were in the car and up there a little after 10.

And slammed among traffic crawling on Memorial Ave. After finding a place to park ($10 in a private lot) we made a short walk to the gate where we bought our tickets and entered.

We were back. We both noted that.

We're traditionalists. We both like adhering to things we've done before. So, we walked clear across the park to the Avenue of the States and set about visiting each New England state, beginning with Rhode Island.

Then Massachusetts.

Eventually, as we went to walk into Connecticut, a thought ran through my mind. For the past 30 years or so, every trip to The Big E was as a true outsider. I was a New Yorker. I didn't live in New England. I was (and am) a Yankees fan.

But now, I visited the house representing Connecticut. My home state.

"Maybe that's why we needed to go this year," Sean said.

We went through Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire to round out the states. Overall, things hadn't changed too much, save for one thing. We were both looking forward to the same wood-fired pizza that we enjoyed in the Vermont building for years.

In fact, quick side story. I'm going to guess it was 2010 when I was at the fair.  I was in the Vermont building, buying pizza when I locked eyes with my former sister-in-law. Sitting nearby was Sean along with his mother and grandparents.

Sean was excited to see me but given where life was at that moment, it was also awkward and a little sad. I had to get my pizza, hug my child, and walk away.

Today, we went to the Connecticut building and got an overpriced slice of pizza there.

More importantly, I didn't have to walk away from Sean this time.

The park is huge and the crowd was as large as I've ever seen it. We indulged in plenty of other food goodies like apple cider and donuts and maple cones (from Vermont and they are fantastic) but, to be honest, we didn't overdo it.

But we walked all over. We walked the midway at looked at the rides, remembering things that Sean went on. Eventually, we got to the Great Slide, a Big E tradition since 1969.

Yeah. We both did it.


We also stepped into the Coliseum, at one time a hockey rink. The Springfield Indians moved out in 1972 and now it hosts things like horse competitions for the fair.

Of course, I stood there pondering which booth I'd be allowed to use as a broadcaster. No, I never stop thinking about such things.

Sean and I watched two classes of trotter competitions with gorgeous horses and drivers that were intriguing. 

We're both sarcastic and crack jokes to each other and did that very thing as we watched.



"What are we watching?" Sean said with a level of amazement.

Eventually, we made our way back to the car, deciding that we were satisfied and not wanting to overstay our welcome.

With sore feet and chafing legs, I was satisfied with the decision.

Traditions were honored. 

New traditions were established if we want to continue them.

It was great to go back and I think we both left hoping to do it again in 2023.

But, if not, I was happy for one more visit with him.

Oh, and Connecticut traffic blows. Yes, that's my thought. It's not original, but it's the mark of frustration at a ride that shouldn't have taken nearly three hours to get home.

It would have been easy to stay home but getting out was the best way to fight the jet lag off.

No comments: