Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Gridiron Radio This Week

 

Middletown High School

My first game broadcast this week won't be Greenwich.

It won't be Brunswick.

Not Fairfield Prep or anyone in Connecticut for that matter.

My friend Kevin Halpenny -- always looking to work with me -- asked me to fill in with the Neversink Media Group on Friday night's Monticello/Middletown football game in New York.

The broadcast will air at 6:30 p.m. from Middletown, NY on WALL Radio (1340 AM with FM options in the Hudson Valley and online at wall.com). 


I'm always excited to be on a different frequency or call letters. WALL went on the air on Aug 2, 1942. Among its multiple claims to fame is a radio oddity that reigns legendary among those of us who love the business.

In short, a late-night recording session at WALL brought about a satire of radio marketing with a faux radio station called WVWA, based in Pound Ridge, NY.

That, if you don't know, is in Westchester County on the Connecticut border with New Canaan.

After being a contemporary 1960s radio station, WVWA (AM 900) experimented with other formats before taking on a new concept: NINE.

Yup. NINE.

The tape still exists (I linked to a YouTube video above) and there's a whole write-up by radio pro and historian Scott Fybush on his Tower Site of the Week page (please note the date of the entry).

As for football, this isn't like me asking Chris Kaelin to jump in for me. Kato knows the format and, with a little assistance, knows the equipment. There's a bit of a learning curve for equipment and the format (I won't be shouting "NINE!") during this broadcast. Still, there's a 30-minute pregame show and other things to learn.

Then, of course, is simply learning about the two teams. Thanks to D.J. McPherson for sharing his knowledge of Middletown football. Additional thanks to Gavin Burt of Neversink Media for his help in getting the equipment to me and offering to train me Friday afternoon in a Middletown parking lot.

Eventually, a little after 7:00 on Friday night, Norris Gipson and I will get down to what I know how to do: call a game.

Then, on Saturday, I'll reconnect with Chris Erway to call Westhill/Greenwich at Cardinal Stadium at 1 p.m. Oh, but that's after I run over to Brunswick to set up that booth.

Why?

Because Chris and I will finish the Westhill/Greenwich call and run to our cars to get to Cosby Field to call Salisbury/Brunswick at 5 p.m!

These are the challenges I love and I'm grateful that Chris is a willing participant in my madness.

I'm sorry to miss Brunswick's homecoming soccer game on Friday night but the Middletown offer came before anything else and I'm always happy to help Kevin out.

Hopefully, it all goes well and when it's all said and done I'll reflect on it Saturday night.

Maybe I'll be home by NINE!

No comments: