Sunday, February 10, 2019

Winter Sports


I'm home after a long day, with The Grammy's on TV.

Nope. I'll confine those thoughts to Twitter. (But really, J Lo doing Motown?)

I called wrestling with Chris Erway today, from the Stamford studios of Local Live, for the New Jersey Dual Meet Finals. What a blast.

Something happens around this time of year. During the winter, I go between hockey and basketball quite a bit, but sometimes I get rolling on one sport and start missing the other.

In other words, when I get on a stretch of calling basketball, I long to get back to hockey.

Well on Friday and Saturday, I got to do just that, calling back-to-back Brunswick hockey games.

There are games, and it's rare, where I "feel it." It just all comes together. I see the field/rink/court differently. The rosters are ingrained in my cranium.

That was the case on Friday, as The Gunnery visited the Hartong Rink. Flying solo, I was able to string together a decent call of a 4-3 Bruins loss. Still I'm not afraid to make fun of myself, like when I got tongue tied.


Check this out on Chirbit
On Saturday, the Bruins hosted Berkshire in the home finale. I made my way to Greenwich, fully expecting to grab food at a nearby deli.

Which was promptly closed. Due to "unforeseen circumstances."

A hungry broadcaster creates a tired broadcaster creates a not-quite-solid broadcast.

But the game didn't need Doc Emrick. It needed to be shepherded, because the Bruins and Bears gave us a good one. Down 4-1 after 2, the Bruins stormed back with four goals to win 5-4. There were 14 penalties and myriad chippy play, but it was an exciting game. It's worth listening to.
It was also senior day, and I send my congratulations to Henry Hill, Cooper Moore, Edward Glassmeyer, Charles Shaffer, Aaron Aboodi, Andy McBurney, and Dan Dachille. I wish I knew the athletes better than I do, but I've gotten a chance to know the parents more in recent years. Their feedback is just wonderful.

"I had to come meet you," one grandmother exclaimed. "You've explained the game to me more than anyone else. I wish your voice was pumped in here to the rink!"

"Welcome back," another person said. "You're the voice we want to see up there (on the balcony)."

Stuff like that is priceless. If only the right people could hear those recommendations.

As for basketball, don't worry. I'll be back at that, calling Brunswick twice this week (though I expect Tuesday will get snowed out), and Greenwich once (tomorrow against Fairfield Warde). I'll also be calling the FCIAC girls and boys basketball semis and finals for Local Live, as well as the FCIAC girls hockey final.

However, no boys hockey. I think I know why, but yeah. Anyway.

OK, back to The Grammy's. My head needs to explode.

No comments: