Saturday, February 09, 2019

It's Time To Talk

Just being an open book.
As you probably know, I opened up about some of my challenges last week, in an effort to get the ball rolling on mental health. (Read part 1 here, Read part 2 here).

The posts did have an impact, though it became a little more about me than I wanted it to, just as Thursday's post turned into more of a "pity party" than I intended.

After having breakfast with a friend on Friday, I figured it was time to explain things. You see, I have often been a voice on the air, and I thought I walked the fine line between the radio/video and the blog.

What I found out is that nobody really knows me or what is going on. So...

- Don't be fooled by my writing and social media posts. I might be busy, but it's not generating the revenue to pay bills.

- I'm currently completely and undeniably unemployed. I freelance some for Local Live and a few other gigs that I get (such as the great Hunt Scanlon, who brings me on as moderator for their conferences).

- I don't work at WGCH full-time, and Doubleheader is nothing more than a passion project. I do it to keep me active and they're great in that it doesn't matter if I make it to the studio. But there's no money.

- I haven't worked at my last full-time position since mid-2017 (and stopped being used as a freelancer there in early-2018), and truth be told, they're the ones who owe me a significant amount of back pay for my work. Astoundingly, I can't even get a response to my requests for pay.

- Robcasting makes little to no money at all.

- I've built relationships with Greenwich High, Brunswick, Fairfield Warde and Fairfield Ludlowe, Fairfield Prep, Greens Farms Academy, and King School, along with Darien (including the Darien Athletic Foundation), the SCC and their commissioner Al Carbone, the FCIAC, Mahopac and Carmel High Schools and more. This is all great. Sadly, it's not come to fruition in terms of work to get "a life."

- I can teach. I teach pretty well. I've mentored a lot of people. However, Connecticut School of Broadcasting gets me some teaching gigs. It's not full-time.

- The state of New York harasses me about child support, and even Sean is counting down to when it's over because it bugs him. I saw more courtrooms in 2018 than I've ever seen in my life. As with everything else, I have little support. No lawyer. Nobody to stand up for me. So of course, I lost everything. I have no way to pay what I owe, and that's all I should say about that. For now.

- There are no magic answers to this. I need a job. A real job. One that helps me pay my bills. One that helps me get my life back. Any free time is spent at home. I don't go out or socialize much because I can't afford it.

- I'd like to stay in broadcasting. I'd like to help fill the void that was lost with the end of HAN, and I hope Local Live (with me) will be the answer to that. I'd like to see more games get covered, with a professional broadcaster. This goes for Connecticut, New York, or wherever I'm wanted. Our student-athletes deserve that.

- Yet the reality is that I will put 100% into any job. I have experience in marketing and database marketing and writing (hi!) and a lot more. I'm a sponge. I want any job that will allow me to use the myriad skills I have.

- Would I love to stay in broadcasting full-time? Of course, but I don't have to.

- I'm more than willing to make covering games as a second gig (but NOT as a hobby. Your athletes deserve better than that.)

- Oh, and I'm not a salesman. I. Can't. Make. That. Clear. Enough.

That pretty much sums it all up. I realize now that nobody quite knew my real story, and I gave off the impression that I was doing great.

Until I opened up.

I hope now you understand, and you'll help me brainstorm to reach the next phase of my life. I need connections, networking, and ultimately, a job.

I need someone to take a chance.

My email is rda5512@gmail.com. My LinkedIn page is here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/steelyankee/.

Thank you.

No comments: