Monday, February 04, 2019

Irrelevant Nonsense


#Project365 co-conspirator John Nash gave me food for thought today.

He wrote the following on Facebook: "The hatred in this world, especially over the littlest things that don’t matter, just staggers me."

He's right, and I'm guilty. I also told him that.

I ripped away in my usual live-tweeting of the Super Bowl (next up: the Grammy's!), having fun dispensing vitriol at the ghastly (sorry, I can't stop) s*** show known as Maroon 5 last night.


Like I said, I'm completely guilty.

Of course, it's an opinion, and it's something I work in on a daily basis about certain topics, with sports and entertainment being in the forefront.

But John is right in that it doesn't matter.

I'm smart enough (all things being relative) to know that Maroon 5, Nickelback, John Mellencamp and others have achieved popularity somehow. They obviously must be talented because they play instruments and, er, sing.

They've sold millions of records and still sell our venues of various sizes.

There are plenty who dislike The Beatles, and I'm very aware of that.

Again. Opinions.

But to John's better point, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day if Maroon 5 was dreadfully awful last night or if Tom Brady is the G.O.A.T. or if the Super Bowl was boring.

It doesn't.

Maybe it speaks to my own shallow brain. Maybe it's the little things that got me through a fairly pedestrian Super Bowl night (the 42nd one that I've watched).

That being said, I'm the primary entertainment (or snark leader) for my friend Mike Genaro, so I have to be on my game for the Grammy's.

Still, John's right. To be clear, John wasn't specifically talking about me.

It certainly made me think.

It likely won't change me.

Maroon 5 still...no. I can't. I won't.

They're just not my style.

They... ... ... hey, why not listen to us call tonight's King School/Greens Farms Academy boys basketball tilt?

No comments: