Thursday, February 21, 2019

Peter Tork and the FCIAC Championship

Peter Tork. Photo credit: Getty
That's Peter Tork of The Monkees in that picture. We'll get to him in a moment.

*****
I called the FCIAC girls basketball championship tonight.

In a low-scoring affair, Norwalk held on for a 32-29 win. It was a good game that felt like it lacked a signature moment. Still, it came down to the last shot, and you can't ask for anything more than that.

This is what the last shot sounded like.


Check this out on Chirbit

I'm on to girls hockey on Saturday, as Greenwich and New Canaan meet for the championship. It's a game I've already seen, since the two played in the Winter Classic at the Greenwich Skating Club in December. In fact, the teams have met twice, with each team winning once 3-2.

The Cardinals will go for a third straight FCIAC title Saturday at 4pm. Watch it on Fairfield.live.

*****
Now back to Peter Tork, who died earlier today.

I realize, to some, a musician from a band created for a TV show in the 1960's seems a bit much to mourn. But I don't.

Tork was -- at least to me -- the George Harrison of The Monkees. Despite what you might think of the show (it was actually quite brilliant for its brief run), the music is nothing short of outstanding.

Let's get it clear: they weren't The Beatles. Facts are 1) Who is? and 2) They didn't need to be.

Their songs, be it the work of others or themselves, made timeless hits on the pop charts and other deeper cuts that stand up on their own.

Tork was probably the best pure musician of the band, though fans of Mike Nesmith might take offense to that (and none is intended, as I also think "Papa Nez" is fantastic).

It's a difficult thing for some to deal with. These are people we'll likely never know. We might get a chance to meet (or interview) them at best. So, to some, how dare we mourn them? They're people. Just like us, right?

We mourn their passing. Sure. But we also mourn our own loss. Peter Tork takes us back to being a kid and watching The Monkees, while learning the music of The Monkees.

We go back to innocence, and passing that knowledge onto a new generation of fans.

I like The Monkees, and I feel for the fans who mourned today. I certainly feel for Susan, who is the most knowledgeable Monkees fan I know. I know she's sad today, and she's actually the best source to write about him today. I'm doing so in her honor.

We're so fortunate that we have the TV shows and the music to remember him (and Davy Jones, who died in 2012).

Here we come walking down the street...  

(I'm not posting that song, but one Peter's best -- though he admittedly did not write it. It's still a great performance)

No comments: