Saturday, February 16, 2019

Pick Up or Delivery?

Benvenuto in Mahopac (pic courtesy of Justdial.com)
I had dinner tonight with my mother, sister, one niece and one nephew.

Another niece is coming to New York City with four great-nieces. Oh yeah, and Hector is here for work. I have this funny feeling that most of you know Hector, so introductions probably aren't necessary. If they are, well get to know him. He's Kristy's husband and a frequent reader/listener.

Alas, this isn't about Hector, Kristy, or the myriad family members in New York City tonight.

Back to dinner. There was one simple question: how do we get it? Or more to the point: WHO'S going to get it?

Every Saturday night, so it seems, I leave the house and just go get dinner myself. If I'm out broadcasting a game (remember, I currently otherwise have no social life), the text inevitably hits my phone: "Do you just want to go pick up dinner?"

For the record, Benvenuto, pictured above, is the current go-to. It's a few minutes away and reasonably priced, with good quality and nice people. Plus it's always great to support the neighborhood.

There was once a video store in part of that building. Talk about a different lifetime.

If there's a self-service line when I'm shopping, I'm on it. Grocery store? Walmart? Target?

Yes. Yes. Yes. In each case, I'll see myself out, thank you very much. I realize that comes off a bit anti-social.

I'm the weirdo (yes, I admit it) who gets annoyed when I'm in New Jersey because they don't allow you to pump your own gas.

There are things I like about New Jersey. I swear. But the lack of choice to be able to pump gas isn't one of them.

I actually sit in the car, feeling uncomfortable, when I have to get gas in New Jersey. Or I just skip the state completely and gas up elsewhere.

Doesn't matter what the weather is. It's just how I'm wired (and, again, I'm weird).

So when the option is presented or dinner, it's basically accepted that I'll just go get it myself.

Lately, I find myself staying home (again, if I'm not working). I run myself pretty hard most days, so I welcome a day to catch up at home. The last thing I want to do is go out at all.

But there's also the factor of waiting for dinner (oh yeah, and tipping a driver when you're broke isn't exactly delightful).

So I normally subscribe to the notion of "If you want something done, you might as well do it yourself."

Or something like that.

That being said, we opted for delivery tonight.

Go figure.

No comments: