Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, Sean!

Eight years ago tonight - Friday, February 22, 2002 - I watched something on TV. I stayed up until about Midnight, then went to bed. I was awakened about two hours later (if that).

It was time for me to become a dad.

We called the doctor and were told to get to the hospital, but to take our time. Enough time for a shower, and to call the grandparents-to-be and give them advanced warning. We were out of the house by 2:30 or so, and we arrived at Hudson Valley Hospital at Peekskill-Cortlandt in no time (maybe 20 minutes, but normally a half-hour or more). Some of this is vague and yet oh-so-clear.

From there, we kept walking around the maternity ward, trying to not get anxious or nervous. To be honest, I never was. I was so prepared - so excited! - to meet this child (we knew it was a boy). I felt calm, to be honest. Very focused.

Sandi had Sean rather quickly. No meds. The process started around 6:00 AM and at 7:03 on February 23, 2002, Sean Robert Adams, the pride of his mother and father (no matter their differences) came into this world. By 8:00, I was hugging my in-laws, and soon my mother would join. There were tears and many smiles.
Not long after came the first diaper and the first bottle (maybe not in that order).

We liked the name "Sam" but, come on. "Sam" Adams? Yeah, right. "Sean" worked. We knew people we liked with that name (Sean Kilkelly, Sean Ford, Sean Adams on WCBS 880 - not that we know him per se). The "Robert" part was to honor my dad.

He's been so loved since the moment we were aware of him. Not a day goes by where his name doesn't enter multiple conversations of mine. I've worked him into my radio broadcasts. He's been a part of this blog. He's been part of everything for me. I miss him when he is not around.

It hasn't been that easy for him lately, and goodness knows he deserves better. Oh so much better. He has a wonderful support system of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins (and second cousins), and friends. His teachers like him and want him to succeed and are working hard to that end (and I would do anything to find a way to keep him in that school system). It's his parents that have failed him and, for that, I truly feel sad. And sick. And angry.

He knows the motto, to "keep moving forward." He will, but it can be difficult when he is so young.

We have a great relationship, my boy and I. Yes I can be tough, but I can also be a huge goofball that can take a joke and dish it out. Sean and I love to play - whatever it is. We love to team up. I love coaching him in baseball. I love the "mini-me" moments (when we're so similar that it's scary). Sean plays the "you don't care" card but nothing - ever - could be further from the truth.

I don't think I've ever truly loved anything more in my life. He is my world.

Happy birthday, Sean. You're loved by so many. I hope you can understand that.

No comments: