Thursday, September 03, 2009

Live From KeySpan Park


(Photo courtesy Tim Parry)

That's me - preparing my scorecard and notes for last night's Renegades-Beltran...oops...Cyclones game. I didn't know Tim Parry had taken the picture until I saw it on Facebook. He's a crafty one.

Geoff Brault is sitting in the background, looking positively thrilled to be calling a Wednesday night game in Brooklyn. Of course, the team just came in from Oneonta, so let's just say he's tired.

UPDATE! Geoff has chided me for what I wrote, and correctly so. Geoff is pondering life in the picture (perhaps thinking about Marist football or women's basketball) because he is so ultra-uber-prepared that he didn't need to be checking notes, and writing out a lineup - which is what I am doing in the picture. He had an hour-plus jump on me. So duly noted.

Big thanks to TP and Jason Intrieri for coming along and being so thoughtful and gracious. It seemed like they had a really good time...especially after they crashed a party suite! Funny stuff. We had a great time in the car laughing and talking about sports, life, whatever (we're all pretty fired up for football to start).

On the field, the Gades won 4-2 in back of terrific pitching from Jason McEachern, Bladimir Florentino, and Zach Quate, who struck out Carlos Beltran with the tying run on base.

I had the pleasure of calling two of Beltrans' at-bats - a fourth-inning walk, of which he was picked off first when he strayed too far for a strike-him out, throw-him out double play. Pretty lackadaisical on Beltran's part. Then in the sixth, he hit a rocket to the warning track in right that DJ Jones tracked down.

I'm not jaded - I really enjoyed the rare opportunity of calling Beltran.

The buzz in the park was fun, and it was a good night for all. The media throng was large for the NY-Penn League, and the autograph hounds were everywhere. A black SUV waited outside the media gate (where the players come out as well) to whisk Beltran away.

I'm back at it tonight, as Beltran and the Cyclones visit Dutchess Stadium.

No comments: