Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy 60th Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce! (With VIDEO)


Mr. Springsteen is 60. I can only pray to be...

1) Alive
and
2) Kicking arse like him at that age.

How to celebrate? Well with his music, of course. (DUH!)

You could head to this top 15 (I don't agree with them, of course). Or you could try an album by album breakdown.

First, let's have some video. "Jungleland." Wow...just wow.


Next, truly showing just how much freaking fun these guys have, "Out in The Street"

What a concept - no effects. Just rockin'. How unique. Both recorded in New York - at the Garden.

As for my Top 10? I'll pick them, but they'll be different by tomorrow...
1) Born to Run - I know, too easy. Sorry. It's still amazing. A reason that Nigel Tufnel wanted amps (and stereo speakers) to go to 11.
2) Thunder Road - Track one on one of the most perfect albums. I'd love to sing this to a woman who can't seem to figure it all out. These lyrics are magic:
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me
3) Rosalita - A very personal choice, not just because it's a great song. It's Sean's favorite Springsteen song - the one he made me play constantly. He will still play an air-keyboard to go along with my air guitar and drumming. I hope Sean and I will one day see Bruce play this live in person.
4) Jungleland - An epic track. Think "West Side Story" meets Rock and Roll.
5) Darkness on the Edge of Town - "Well if she wants to see me...You can tell her that I'm easily found"
6) Bobby Jean - My favorite track from Born in the USA, which is hardly my favorite Bruce album.

OK, now it gets tough. "Candy's Room", "Hungry Heart", "The Rising", "Meeting Across the River", "Badlands", "Spirit in the Night", "The E Street Shuffle", "Kitty's Back", "Tenth Ave. Freeze Out" (AMAZING to see live), "Prove it All Night", "Sherry Darling", "The River", "Atlantic City", "Tunnel of Love", "Red Headed Woman", "Streets of Philadelphia", "Radio Nowhere", "Waiting on a Sunny Day", "Outlaw Pete", "Working on a Dream", "My City of Ruins", "The Last Carnival" and "The Wrestler" are all in the discussion of pure greatness. And I've only scraped the surface.

So I'm going to go listen to some Bruce now. Happy birthday, Boss.

No comments: