Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bill Gonillo Five - After Week One


I'm back to voting for the Bill Gonillo Five - essentially the poll of the top high school football teams in southwestern Connecticut. Incidentally, the voters select six teams and it gets whittled to five.

My picks in the preseason were:

- New Canaan
- Greenwich
- Masuk
- King
- Staples
- Ridgefield

At least that's how I think I remember it. After the first week of action, my picks were:

1) New Canaan - the best until I see something that changes my mind.
2) Greenwich - solid against Norwalk. They play Stamford on Friday. Could be in line for a big year.
3) Masuk - I like them.
4) King - 2009's answer to what Brunswick was in 2005 or so. I'd love to see them for real against an FCIAC team.
5) Staples - I have such respect for the Wreckers and Coach Petroccio. I look at last year's 6-5 as an oddity.
6) Trumbull - I'm torn between Ridgefield and the Eagles. Last week, I had the Tigers here and based on their early play against Stamford, they might be back. Yet I've heard great things about Trumbull. Tough call.

Again, I think that's how I lined them up. I just kind of filled out the ballot and hit send, without writing it down for the blog. We'll try to get a little more in depth as we move along, though I make no promises.

No comments: