Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It Was 20 Years Ago Today

Twenty years ago, while watching "The Quiet Man" on TV, my father had a heart attack and died at the age of 59.

I've stressed over the years that I don't let it bother me on St. Patrick's Day. I've done many other fine things on St. Patty's Day that, while I don't forget about the anniversary, I don't let it ruin the day.

So let this simply be a way of saying that I'm taking a moment to think of my dad today. Some days he is missed much more than others. For reasons other than his passing, today is one of those days. I could use his wisdom right about now.

I wonder sometimes what he would think of the current state of affairs. To be blunt - he'd be pissed. And worried. He would not like what is going on in the world, and in our little corner of it. He'd also be proud. Proud of his grandchildren. Overall, I think he'd also be proud of his own children, because we've survived a lot of bad stuff and done a lot of good stuff.

Maybe I'm being Pollyanna, but that's my belief and I'm going to stick with it.

He'd also be 79 and I wonder what kind of health he would be in. Indeed, who knows what our lives would be like. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that things would be very different.

Anywho, I just wanted to take a moment to recognize his passing 20 years later. Like everything else, it seems like it was yesterday...and it also seems like it was a lifetime ago.

In reality, it was a lifetime ago.

No comments: