Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bobby Ray Murcer - May 20, 1946-July 12, 2008

I don't quite have the words to say how I feel like tonight. Bobby Ray Murcer felt like a friend - he was such a regular guy - but he was so much more. He was a fine baseball player, loving husband, great father and friend, good broadcaster, and a great person. He is somebody that every young person should know about, because he played the game well and inspired people. He's a big part of the reason that I'm in broadcasting today.

Frankly, I'm just a touch too emotional tonight. I've lost my favorite athlete - ever. He was so wonderful to me the three times we met (including above, in 1983). We do place too much emphasis on our sports heroes, but Bobby Murcer helped make me love the game of baseball, and to pass that love on via the radio.

I feel like a chapter of my life has closed. How appropriate, since a chapter of my life is ending.

Please go here for the Yes Network's coverage. Major League Baseball also provides some excellent coverage here.

Sorry - I should say more, and I'm not being melodramatic. I'm just pretty damn sad about this.

No comments: