Sunday, May 25, 2008

Girardi Gets Suspended/Umpire Gets Nothing

(Kathy Willens / AP)

I meant to bring this up the other night. Joe Girardi had a meltdown in the ninth inning of the Yankees' 2-1 win over the Orioles at the Stadium the other night. Girardi would channel his inner Earl Waver/Billy Martin/Lou Piniella with a couple of hat tosses, hat kicks, and a kick of some dirt on the home plate umpire, Chris Guccione.

Following the game, baseball's czar of behavior and chief clown, Bob Watson, suspended Girardi for one game.

Here's the thing, and I haven't heard it discussed. I'm not a master lip-reader, but I clearly saw Guccione say the following to Girardi: "Get the f*** out of here."

Now, let me get this straight. Girardi gets suspended because he kicked a wittle dirt on the wittle umpire, but Guccione gets NOTHING for cussing/cursing/using bad language?

We've watched umpires blow not one, but TWO home run calls in the past week (replay's a-comin') and act like people pay money to see them. When are they going to be held accountable?

I LOVE hypocrisy!

No comments: