Monday, October 15, 2007

Off The Bench

So they're still playing baseball, correct? I keep falling asleep on the couch every night with some game on (Rockies/D'Backs or Indians/Sox). Either way, it's boring, and few love the National Pastime more than I do. I'm hard-pressed to find a postseason more hideously boring than this one.

That's bad news for Chip Caray, because it gives yahoos like me more time to talk about his on-air performance.

I guess that "Mangenius" tag for the Jets coach isn't necessary at the moment, eh?

If you believe the Drudge Report, set your calendars for December 3rd:
In a dramatic and dazzling career rebound, controversial radio host Don Imus has secured a deal returning him to the airwaves on December 3 -- this time on the nation's most listened to talk station, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned!

"Imus In The Morning" will make high-impact resurrection on WABC in New York City, top sources reveal.
For all of these fringe activist associations, I suggest that you line up now, get your fifteen minutes of fame in, then move on. You can all say something idiotic (like the ass clown professor at Adelphi), we'll write/talk/report/debate it, and it will be over.

The Yankees brain trust will debate the future of Joe Torre (among other things) this week in Tampa. Sean Kilkelly and I had a great conversation (I wouldn't call it a debate) during halftime of Saturday's Greenwich/Westhill football broadcast. Sean' basic premise was that somebody has to pay for the debacle of the Yankees over the past few seasons. My point was that there is nobody better for the position of Yankees manager than Joe Torre - case closed. I'd make Brian Cashman pay before I'd send Torre packing. I know Joe hasn't been great with pitchers (thus the "Joba rules") but he also led them back from the dead to get to the wild card. Cashman is responsible for a slew of bad moves (Kyle Farnsworth? Jared Wright?).

Anyway, I thought Sean and I provided a few minutes of good radio. As always, it makes me miss having a talk show to rant about things like this.

The '07 Yankees never convinced me that they were going to be anything special. I was wrong about them making the playoffs, but I was right that they weren't going to win it all.

Whatever - enough other pundits have broken it all down. Bottom line - bring Torre back, sign A-Rod, Posada, and Mo. Find some offense at first base and solify the outfield. As always, settle the pitching down - especially the bullpen. And for the love of Gehrig, do NOT resign Rogah ("oh my goodness gracious") Clemens. Move on.

Memo to Suzyn Waldman - I've said I like you. I think you're a good person, reporter, and survivor. But when you start playing the gender card, saying:
"This one's getting me angry, because I don't play this card a lot, but this is as sexist as it gets," the Yankees' radio analyst said Wednesday. "What's the big damn deal? That I cried for four seconds of a 10-minute postgame?

"The idea that I can't choke up because a man I went through cancer with 11 years ago is going to lose his job and I was describing his coaches crying? It's absolutely ludicrous." - From Neil Best in Newsday.
Come on, Suzyn! When you respond like this, you only make things worse, and rational people like me, who respect you, can't offer up a legitimate defense for you.

Kudos to Tim Parry, and all who participated in the walk in honor Bill Gonillo. Class, pure class.

Things I've wanted to talk about since leaving the red bullseye:
- Do people realize they look pretty foolish when they walk around with a bluetooth headset in their ear?
- Do the same people realize that they are horribly rude when they checkout while speaking to somebody on a cell phone - bluetooth or not?
- "Hey, look - that register's light isn't on. Let's go there anyway!!" No...that means the register is closed. It's a new concept used in retail.
- Being a 24 year-old assistant store manager doesn't give you the license to talk down to people over walkie talkies. It just makes you a punk. (This didn't happen to me, but I did witness it)
Trust me, I'm only skimming the surface here. And overall, it was a great experience - absolutely crucial for me.

Magic by Bruce Springsteen (with the E Street Band) is quickly becoming a classic album. I haven't heard the new Radiohead album that has created such a stir in regards to its price (you can basically pay as much as you want for it) but some think it's as good as anything they've made.

That's scary to me, because OK Computer and The Bends are two of the best CD's I've heard. Ever.

Those wacky, crazy, pretentious blowhards at Blender are up to their tricks again, this time calling out the "40 Worst Lyricists In Rock." I'm still miffed at Blender for putting "The Heart of Rock and Roll" at number four on the worst songs ever list (whatever - it's still my favorite, so sue me). This time, they say that Sting is the worst lyricist. I'm supposed to take this seriously when Paul McCartney is number 38? OK, "Ebony and Ivory" was dreadful, but when you've completed the output that Macca has, aren't you allowed a few bad notes?

And Robert Plant at #23? Have you heard that Zeppelin is, oh, just slightly god-like in music terms? Just wonderin.

No comments: