Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Trumbull Wins

 


It's just after 10 p.m. and I really need to get to bed.

So, let's be quick tonight. The story, basically, is this: Trumbull 7, Wilton 1.

For the Eagles, it's their first championship in 12 years. 

Trumbull --  a great baseball town -- was overdue to get to this.

Wilton -- also an excellent baseball town -- had a great FCIAC tournament but came up a game short.

Both teams will be state playoff participants.

Early on, it seemed like we had a pitchers duel on our hands.

But in the bottom of the second, the Eagles began to do what they do.

They dinked. They dunked. They moved runners.

Then they scored.

Then they pitched and played defense.

Starting pitcher Trevor Schuelke's stuff was so good that Wilton didn't get a hit until the sixth and didn't get on the scoreboard until there were two out in the seventh. Schuelke was named the Most Valuable Player following the game.

I thought he might spin a no-hitter, but the Warriors did tally six hits.

In the end, the Eagles cruised, capping a year in which they finally won an FCIAC boys basketball title and a baseball championship.

Now, it's onto the state tournament. I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect to call a few more games.

In fact, I've been told that Greenwich will likely host Staples in the opening round next week. If you don't know, I can walk to Greenwich's field from home while we still live here.

So hail to the Eagles tonight.

Here's the broadcast. Here's how the final out looked and sounded. Thanks to Shawn Sailer for filming it.

But I have to be up early to take a train into New York for my first Hunt Scanlon conference in some time.

The script is printed and New York City awaits.

Hopefully, I still know how to host an event.

No comments: