Friday, May 03, 2024

Toxic Positivity

 


I live rent-free in a few places. 

Sadly, it's not a two-bedroom that allows cats but it's the brains of some.

The reason for this is I'm not phony. On occasion, I will bruise an ego with an opinion, usually of a benign variety.

In one case, the person elected to not debate. They got insulted and instead went on a diatribe about what a mean, negative person I am and how they're positive and don't want with me. Before I could reply, I'd been blocked.

So bold. So brave.

I mean, fair enough. They're entitled to their opinion. I don't think I'm negative. I think I'm fair and honest. I'm realistic.

I'm also pretty loyal and was to that person, actually defending them for some time against criticism from others.

Also, I recognize the person had been good to me a few times over the years. I just didn't see any reason to not only block me but to delete all correspondence with me. 

Anyway, in general, my reputation seems to be OK with those around me, even if we have any skirmishes.

But most people are willing to agree to disagree with me and move on.

Anyway, our "friend" in this case is all about positivity, so the questions I have include...

1) Why put things online that are clearly meant to try to get a rise out of me, including promoting things from me that you've badmouthed? Why troll me?

2) More to the point, if you're so positive, why write such a negative thing? Also, why did you badmouth some of the people you did? To me?

I know people who are relentlessly positive. Nothing sickening. Nothing fake. Just truly positive. They won't speak ill of anyone. They'll laugh and brush off any kind of talk. 

So while chatting with someone today, they told me they'd seen some things and realized the person in question had toxic positivity.

Nobody wants that.

Often, I'm too forgiving. I won't spell that out entirely but I've been able to "suck it up" and "be the better person" more times than I can take. 

A nerve was finally hit a few years back and saying "Thank you, sir, may I have another" stopped being an option.

So, I just stopped talking to them. Simple. Effective.

And I'm always open to patching things up because I don't like such unresolved issues.

But I'm also content to have that kind of fraudulence out of my world.

However, when I can see it's obvious that you're doing things online in an effort to get under my skin, don't be surprised by my reaction.

Like this.

No comments: