Tuesday, May 14, 2024

No Championship For Me

 


Brunswick beat St. Luke's today in the FAA baseball semifinals.

The Bruins won 2-0 over the Storm in a game that featured fantastic pitching.

Four times, the Storm had a runner in scoring position with less than two out, and each time the Bruins found a way to escape. Full credit to Teddy Bancroft for keeping those runs from scoring, as he pitched six solid innings to get the win.. The righthander came up with big strikeouts and the defense behind him made every play.

The Bruins only had five base hits of their own but came up with the ones that counted.

It's the kind of game that is a joy to watch.

It's also a joy to do a scorecard.

And, most of all, it's a joy to broadcast.

But, as these things go, it also meant it was the end of my season with Brunswick baseball. I don't call road baseball games for the Bruins with rare exceptions. So that means I won't be at the conference championship game for the second year in a row as the Bruins head to Hamden Hall on Thursday.

It would be a great story for the Bruins, as the Hornets have beaten them twice this year.

But I'll be elsewhere.

A broadcaster always wants the big calls. 

I've made it clear I want every call. I like to work.

Instead, I'll head to Cosby Field this weekend to call the prestigious Prep National lacrosse tournament. I get to call the semis on Friday and the third annual championship on Sunday. I'm proud to say I've been the only play-by-play announcer in the brief history of the tournament.

Next week, I'll handle the FCIAC baseball semis and championship. It will be the seventh time I've had the honor of calling the baseball title. 

After that, it will get tricky for a bit. I'm told I will be heading to New Jersey for some games and there's always a chance I could pick up something else.

Maybe there will be some local playoff games that I can grab. Someone might want me.

Plus the Babe Ruth tourney season is on the way though is there any way we could ever match the journey of 2023 that led me to Rhode Island and Virginia? Maybe but I'd like to find out.

Of course, the Renegades will keep me jumping as well.

Did you notice what state I didn't mention?

I'm probably heading off to New Jersey. You never know if a New York opportunity will pop up.

How about Connecticut?

Let's just say I've heard from a few people who are disgruntled with the state (see what I did there?) of broadcasting at the state level in Connecticut. For the record, I currently have no role whatsoever in that decision-making.

So I'll leave that right there.

I'll find other ways to be busy but there's no question I want to be doing the big games on my home turf.

But it's not meant to be for the Bruins in their FAA baseball championship game on Thursday.

So I'll teach. I'll get ready for two conferences over a little more than a month. I'll do other things.

And I'll find some local playoff games, perhaps with Greenwich or Trumbull or Ludlowe. Or someone else. Or I won't.

I can't bemoan what I can't change and I can't change this at the moment.

So when the game ended today, I wrapped up, packed up, took a picture of the scoreboard, went to my car, and went home.

Lacrosse is next.

No comments: