Wednesday, May 29, 2024

I Know What I Like


 

There was a fun back-and-forth the other day about the things I don't like.

Yes, I don't like Maroon 5 and things that are overplayed (looking at you, Bon Jovi, Journey, and John Mellencamp).

But what do I like?

Actually, I like a lot of things.

Obviously, I love baseball. Few things -- if any -- in my life have had even a slight impact of baseball. I remain tirelessly passionate about the "national pastime" no matter how much people try to destroy it.

Beyond that, I love travel. You should probably know that, given the amount of ways that I write about my adventures. From home to London, Florida, San Francisco, and beyond, I remain fierce about traveling.

To that end, give me a road trip. The fire was reignited with Sean and, in the process, me, as we drove from home to Florida and back. You need no further evidence of this beyond my desire to get right back on the road just hours after we got home back in March.

Indeed, I've been ready to go somewhere since. I don't know that finances and fate will be on our side this year but I'm trying.

But I also love simplicity. 

I don't need to swim but I love being near the water. Normally, that means funky beach towns with cool shops and restaurants. 

I like the sound of the ocean and the feel of the area. I don't necessarily need to go in the water, though I am content to just stand with my feet in the water.

For instance, Sean and I were at John's Pass at Madeira Beach, FL back in March. We walked to the Gulf of Mexico and just put our feet in the water for a few minutes. That, frankly, was enough. I got it, and was pretty content.

Staying with that, I love good conversation. As Sean and I stood in the Gulf, we just talked. About stuff. I don't even remember what it was.

I don't love surface conversations and small talk. But I love conversation that involves telling stories and sharing experiences.

I love a Sunday morning. There's something about it that just screams breakfast and jazz music (and The Beatles!) and driving. People are sleeping and I'm all for that.

I love broadcasting games. I love telling stories and knowing that families are sitting home, waiting to hear what's next, galvanizes me. 

I mentioned The Beatles, and I obviously love them. But I love Huey Lewis, the News, jazz music, rock music, good (old) country music, and lots more. I love things that inspire me, consume me, and just hang around me.

It can be "Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing)" by Benny Goodman (1936) or "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck Quartet (1959) or "Day Tripper" by The Beatles (1966) or "The Heart of Rock and Roll" by Huey Lewis and the News (1983) and I'll be in heaven. 

I love humor. So much falls under that heading and it doesn't have to be highbrow. Blazing Saddles can reduce me to laughing so hard that I can't breathe. But so can Beavis and Butthead. And before he went too deep into being political, Dennis Miller had the same impact, cha cha.

I love a breeze. Any breeze. Preferably a summer breeze (Seals and Crofts). This morning, I sipped my coffee as a chilly breeze came through the kitchen.

That breeze was just cool enough to make it seem like autumn was waving and reminding us that fall isn't that far away. It was cruel and cool all data the same time.

I love a stadium. Any stadium. Especially one that is quiet. When no game is going on it's either setup or breakdown time. There's a peaceful feeling in that moment. There's a hint of what is to come or maybe what has already happened.

I've say in Dorothy Hamill Rink and Cardinal Stadium and Cosby Field and Terry Conners Rink and many others in those circumstances. I've been locked in and locked out.

I love family. Not the family who is just there because they have to be or because they're supposed to be. But those because they want to be.

I'm happy visiting my family in North Carolina or Ulster County or Fairfield or Florida. It's effortless to be around them and it doesn't feel like work. In fact, I sat at a lake house among extended family last year in Florida and it was as comfortable as possible. To that extent, I found a chair and fell asleep on the dock. It was a moment of perfection.

I admit I'm not a good eater and don't love a lot of foods but I love what I love. You can all mock Waffle House but dammit I'm happy there. A fluffy waffle, hashbrowns with cheese, screambled eggs and cheese, white toast, and ham make me as happy as anything. But so does a steak and grilled shrimp or chicken parm or my favorite spaghetti and meatballs.

And I mentioned coffee before. I love coffee and a peaceful discussion while sitting outside as life goes by. The best conversations involve laughter and passion and energy.

I love Cooperstown and Mahopac and Tarpon Springs. These are the three towns that make me happy to just walk around. Yes, Greenwich too, though I feel a bit rejected by Greenwich right now. I'm hoping to make that feeling pass.

Incidentally, when I'm safe and nobody is in danger, I love a good storm. Thunderstorms are the most fascinating but so is a snowstorm or anything else. 

I love history. Sports history and music history and pop culture history and American history and more. I love learning, even if I don't retain it. I love TV and movie history. I want to learn from it and not do away with it.

My TV channels that I love are The Weather Channel and whatever is showing sports. There are steaming shows that I watch but I don't have any extreme allegiance.

Honestly, despite my "curmudgeonly" ways, there are a lot of things I love.

I love life and I have a lot of living I'd like to do.

And loving as well.

Oh, and I love lamp.

But I love a lot more than I let on.

No comments: