Thursday, May 09, 2024

Thursday Things

 

Not these things (Dr. Seuss)

I did a thing today.

It's not a thing I can expand upon at the moment but it was a thing. It could be a good thing. A very good thing. A game-changing thing.

But, like everything in life, it's best to not put the cart before the horse, so there's nothing to talk about now. It's a dare-to-dream type of thing if all goes right.

Or it all falls apart, we simply move on.

But it's a thing that brings hope so let's go with that.

And I can't talk about it.

Yet.

*****


'Tis the season to have the proper air circulation as the days and nights get warmer.

Sean and I went to Costco in Port Chester for dinner. Don't mock, it's cheap.

But I spied a Vornado fan, ahem, whole room air circulator.

It had an instant rebate and was quite affordable.

I have a Vornado that is probably 20 years old. Lately, it has been taking a few minutes to begin circulating. I knew that was a bad sign.

"You might have dust in the motor," said Sean Adams, noted expert on such things.

I gave it some thought and figured it was best to take advantage of this opportunity to buy a new fan as opposed to setting my home on fire with a faulty one.

Done.

Oh, and dinner was good also.

*****

George and Nancy Chelwick, left, in this group photo on
the pier in Naples, FL in 2007. The late Cynthia Hahn is in the
center. Ignore the guy on the far right.


The day began with sad news as Nancy Chelwick, long a dear friend from covering Greenwich football, called to tell me her husband George had died.

George and Nancy were at every Greenwich game long before I started in 1999. In fact, the duo filmed games for the coaches from 1971 to 2012. I'd run into them at film sessions and games we became quite close.

In fact, one Thanksgiving George needed a ride to the Thanksgiving game at Staples High School in Westport. Thus, I became his driver for the day.

Somewhere along the line, he told me that I didn't need to be so polite and to tell him to be quiet as he regaled me with stories.

No chance, I told him. I loved the stories. A person who has lived that kind of life has tales to tell.

I loved seeing him and Nancy whenever possible. George continued to be a loyal listener as time went on. Sadly, it started to be too much to come to the stadium. So he would stay home and listen. Nancy might come over and say hello before heading back home. Their house was within walking distance of GHS.

However, he did come back to Cardinal Stadium in 2023 and was brought up via the elevator to sit in one of the booths. 

As always, Nancy stopped by to see Chris Erway and me and dropped off Kit Kat Bars for us.

With that, we stepped out to have a chance to visit with George. Nancy told me he might not recognize me but he certainly did, giving us each warm hugs and a big smile.

I'm burying the lead of George's life though, which was exemplary. He graduated from Greenwich High School in 1943 and served in World War II.

He was a hero. Full stop. He saved lives in the Phillippines.

Back here in the US, George spent many years as a banker before retiring.

George was inducted into the Greenwich High School Sports Hall of Fame in 2016. He was sad to not film the games anymore but remained loyal to the team.

But, despite the myriad items I can note regarding George, it was his family that stands out the most.

He married Nancy in 1949 and they raised three sons.

George was Greenwich, and Greenwich football. He was everything that is good about both of those things.

George and Nancy were, in fact, Greenwich football royalty. To that end, they continued to come to the annual banquet and be deservedly recognized.

Tonight, I mourn the loss of my friend.

No comments: