Friday, May 17, 2024

The Prep Nationals Semis

 


Thanks to the fates working my way, I have the honor of calling the Prep Nationals Championship again.

Brunswick is the number one team in the country and they host the tournament. Thus, I'm the broadcaster.

I will offer that if my work wasn't acceptable, I probably wouldn't be on the call. But I'm proud to say it seems to be pretty well-received. Plus I worked with an incredible crew tonight who made the games look stunning.

Tonight was the semifinal doubleheader with Lawrenceville beating Deerfield and Brunswick knocking off Salisbury.

Thus it will be the two best teams in the country for the title on Sunday. And I'll call it.

It just wasn't in the plan when I first started. I didn't think I'd become a lacrosse broadcaster or a soccer broadcaster or a wrestling broadcaster. 

Somehow I've done it.

I can still remember the first lacrosse game airing on WGCH roughly 20 years ago. I wasn't initially going to be the play-by-play announcer (it was a different time back then) but I volunteered to come down and do some sideline reporting (with a very little Sean keeping me company).

Then, the plan changed and I was asked to call the second half of the game.

So, how did I learn? I recognized that there was a bit of a similarity to hockey in terms of the description and that taught me to use a similar approach. It worked and I kept practicing, getting more reps during the days with HAN.

Then Brunswick wanted me to call their games and I picked that up.

I try to not overthink it and just describe it.

Apparently, it has worked.

So I suppose I've earned the right to be the Prep Nationals broadcaster again. Or maybe I'd like to think so.

Sunday will, in fact, be my last Brunswick broadcast for the school year. Thus ends the eighth year as Brunswick's lead (and, often, only) broadcaster. It happened because Brunswick wanted a professional approach and I'm thrilled that it was me who got the chance. My relationship with Brunswick goes back a lot further than that but I'm just about the only person who remembers that.

Sunday will also serve as the beginning of the end of my 26th year broadcasting sports though there are still more to come. 

Anyway, I'm just writing and babbling here.

Lacrosse happened tonight. Brunswick and Lawrenceville have punched their ticket to the Prep Nationals Championship Game.

Dan Arestia and I will have the call Sunday at 2 p.m.

No comments: