Sunday, May 05, 2024

Sunday, Pizza

 


I had an epiphany about "Meet the Beatles" this week.

After several episodes of different themes, I told myself to chill out.

"Stop thinking," I said.

This show, as I've said before, is supposed to be a labor of love, much like "Doubleheader." Oh, sure, there's still a business side to it all and it needs to be compelling radio, much as I try to make my "talk show/podcast."

And, for sure, I'll have guests on. In fact, we're at the point where I'm ready to do that.

I asked someone if they'd like to come on and the answer I got was, essentially, "Why?"

I'll get that guest to come on one morning but I didn't feel like pushing it today. His feeling was that he wouldn't be a compelling guest before I reminded him that his parents RAISED him on The Beatles and perhaps he'd like to talk about the songs he liked and what about them appealed to him.

I'd love to get family and friends to come on and talk about the lads and play their favorite songs. All of this will keep the show fresh.

Yet, once in a while, I need to play songs that make me happy.

So instead of overthinking, I decided to have a show that I called "Dealer's Choice." Thus, I'd play whatever I wanted to play.

I played "Magical Mystery Tour" and "I'm Down" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and "It Don't Come Easy" and "We Can Work It Out" because I could. 

Instead of worrying about what I was going to play next, or what fact I'd present, I simply sat back and enjoyed the music. Oh, I prepared for each song but I didn't worry about doing intros to each song.

The goal was to just enjoy the songs.

The only common theme was that I picked songs that were upbeat. They didn't have to be happy messages. They just needed to rock a bit.

The guests will happen. Then again, I'll also take a few shows off I suppose. 

But a show like this was a reminder that I could stay fresh by just enjoying it.

There have often been attempts to take the fun out of "Doubleheader" by those who simply don't understand. 

Well, this was my attempt to make "Meet the Beatles" low-stress, especially useful when tired and worn out on Sunday morning.

In that way, it was perhaps my favorite show yet.

I learned that I-95 had reopened completely in Norwalk while doing the show and thought it might be nice to go grab a later lunch/early dinner.

We had said we'd like to get Frank Pepe's pizza in Fairfield. We do this as a way of honoring Mom, who loved it. We couldn't get there for her birthday so opted to do it today as a late birthday/early Mother's Day gathering. Making it nicer was that my sister and niece could both join us, thus adding to the Mother's Day vibe. 

It was relaxing and it's nice when family time is like that.

It's also nice when traffic moves.

We were home in time to watch most of the Rangers game and were pretty pleased with the result.

A big week awaits.

No comments: