Saturday, May 04, 2024

Tackling Rugby

 

Who says I take broadcasting too seriously?

I've called play-by-play for myriad sports.

Field hockey and lacrosse and soccer and cheerleading and wrestling are just a few that I never thought I'd call. Yet I've not only called them but I've called championships in each of those sports. You don't get those calls if you're not doing something slightly OK.

I added a new sport today: rugby.

Jeff Alterman approached me with the idea several months ago and I figured it was worth trying. Greenwich has long been known for being a high school lacrosse powerhouse so we called Trumbull and the Cardinals today.

My knowledge of rugby is admittedly limited so I did what I did the first time I called field hockey.

I hit the internet.

I watched a video that explained the basics of field hockey years ago and then went out and called a game that afternoon.

I watched and read to prepare for rugby.

Finding information about high school rugby around here, however, was difficult. Both teams have websites and I utilized them but they were only helpful up to a point.

Of course, the first hiccup of the day was to get around Norwalk and the traffic nightmare that is there currently along I-95.

However, it wasn't a problem heading to Trumbull as I grabbed breakfast in Darien and dashed up through West Norwalk before connecting with the Merritt Parkway. No problems.

The game was not at McDougall Stadium, which has a press box and electricity. Instead, it was on Cork Field with no press box and no electricity.

But it was a beautiful, sunny day, so the weather wouldn't be a big deal.


In fact, we stood behind a set of bleachers and used the top row as a table which gave us just enough of a good place to set up and see the action.

As it was warm, I needed to utilize my hard-sided case to keep the sun off the computer.

But, without a doubt, Tim Cooke was the MVP of our broadcast. I can certainly call the play-by-play, giving just enough information to suffice. Tim broke it all down while presenting a class on rugby 101 while still allowing the room to call the game. Jeff chimed in with details and excellent questions for Tim.

Plus there were just enough hints of conversation and humor to create the atmosphere that I believe in on the air.

Look, I'm not going to tell you that I was even particularly good but given my expectations today, I feel pretty proud of what we did.

I might never call rugby again. I can't even slightly predict that. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the opportunity comes up again and we do maybe one rugby match per year.

The audience was good and receptive and I know where I can improve if the opportunity arises again.

Who am I to ever say never?

After the game, my luck with the traffic went south.

A drive that took me 45 minutes from Greenwich to Trumbull was doubled on the way back.

I get stuck in traffic on the Merritt Parkway near Westport before using some crazy side roads through Norwalk before finally making my way back to 95 in Darien.


Fortunately, I had plenty of time to get to Brunswick for a lacrosse game.

As I set up, ate a late lunch, and got ready for the game, someone stopped in the booth and asked me if I would be hosting the senior day ceremony.

Well, no one had asked, but ... ok. I didn't hesitate. Armed with a list of the names of the seniors, I had what I needed to give the players and their families a voice.

The ceremony went off without a hitch, the Bruins won the game, and we got free food. Even Sean got food since it was being provided by the great Neil's on Wheels food truck. Sean and I have visited the truck before and he couldn't resist driving over to the game.

With both games wrapped up, I came home to a peaceful night of watching hockey before what should be a pretty quiet Sunday, including "Meet the Beatles."

But today will be remembered for stepping out of my comfort zone and embracing a new sport to broadcast.

I think we did OK.

No comments: