Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Providence Night 1

 


"She came from Providence. The One in Rhode Island." -- The Eagles, "The Last Resort"

I am in Providence.

Also the one in Rhode Island.


I spent the day at North Providence High School. On the road at 5:50 a.m. and at the field a little after 8.

Four games are in the books. Four winners. Four "meh" (at best) games. Some wonderful performances.

Lots of patient and kind people.

Lots of support for the broadcasts.

And a few knuckleheads (always).

And one hungry, tired broadcaster.


Waterford, Pittsfield, Braintree, Trumbull. Those are your winners. The closest game was 3-0 (Trumbull over the host North Providence/Smithfield).

All of the games are in the archive at Mixlr and I'll get everything into the Archive.org page as well.

It was a day of no booth, lots of heat, sweat, moving equipment, being offered a booth, staying outside, sweating more, dodging foul balls smacking in front of my eyes, and talking.

Lots of talking.

I made it work.

I thought all four broadcasts deserved passing grades with two of them actually worth saying they were, er, good.

But now, I'm in my room in Providence and ready for something to eat.

As well as something to soothe my voice.

Such is the rhythm of tournament baseball.

Games at 10, 1, 4, and 7 today. Then the same tomorrow.

Then Friday.

Two more games Saturday.

Three Sunday and a champion crowned.

It's actually awesome.

Let's do it again.

One of the many versions of my setup today.



No comments: