Saturday, July 15, 2023

Game On (the Air)!

 

Interstate 95 in Rhode Island, 2021

OK, we're set.

The 2023 Babe Ruth New England Regional 14U Baseball Tournament will air on Robcasting beginning Wednesday morning at 10.

I'll handle the play-by-play, analysis, witty banter, and other minutiae. 

North Providence, RI has approved my presence and it looks like I'm welcome to be in the booth as well. I'll still go through the steps of having the proper items with me in case I wind up outside.

Everything, as always, will work itself out.

I've said I will call every pitch (technology permitting) from Wednesday-Sunday and that is my intention. If you're wondering, it's 17 games in total before a champion is crowned.

Whether my voice has adjusted to the grind or I simply handle it better, I haven't had many voice issues since that first tournament back in 2015. 

For those asking about my working alone, I actually love it for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I like working with a partner but chemistry is so important. Chris Erway and I get that. Shawn Sailer and I do also. Chris Kaelin and I. Of course, there are others. I was admittedly nervous the first time I worked solo (I think it was Northwest Catholic and Trinity Catholic in a state basketball championship) but I survived it and have come to love it.

To be in the booth with me, it helps to have a sense of humor, love of what we're doing, understand that a rooting interest isn't cool, and not minding a story or some other diversion. Still, the game and the athletes are the stars.

I tell students that there is always something to talk about. Give the score. Look at the crowd. Discuss the weather. This, of course, is in lieu of having no stories about the game or players.

Another question is about video. These games will be audio-only on Robcasting. Granted, it does cost my money to run Robcasting but that cost is admittedly reasonable. The reality of video is an additional cost. More equipment is needed and, to do it right, more people are needed. I have a wonderful cameraman/videographer that lives with me occasionally but he isn't cheap.

I kid. Sort of. Still, I have to be fair to him.

The bigger factor is we don't have a camera, video encoder, or any other equipment. Not yet.

I will say that I still love calling a game on radio. Especially baseball. I love painting that picture. That being said, I'd probably not change my call if video were involved because limited cameras often don't give a full picture. Not unless it's a truly professional production. So I fill in that picture.

Additionally, even with video, I'd want to keep the Robcasting audio channel going for those who want to listen in their car or while shopping, walking, working, etc.

But, yes, video does drive up the cost and, often, that means charging people to pay or download. I'm averse to that.

We begin Wednesday. I'll be up early to drive and it will be fun maintaining the energy for the first day!

Profound thanks to the families of Waterford and Trumbull who said they wanted me to go. Thanks to the people who have told me they're helping to fund my being there. Thank you to North Providence. Thanks to Mike Buswell for being the chief inspiration for this. He (and others) have talked about my broadcasting on the road before and, if it wasn't for my calling the Renegades in 2021, they would have had me in Texas with them at the World Series.

I'm honored to join them all in Rhode Island in 2023. 

We'll deal with the World Series in Virginia when it's time to cross that bridge but I admit I'm skeptical of that happening.

So here's the schedule:

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

P1 10:00 AM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Waterford, CT vs. Cranston, RI

P2 1:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Western MA vs. Tri-County (ME)

P3 4:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Vermont vs. Braintree, MA

P4 7:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Trumbull, CT vs. NP-S (Host)

Thursday, July 20, 2023

P5 10:00 AM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Western MA vs.Waterford, CT

P6 1:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Tri-County (ME) vs. Cranston, RI

P7 4:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Braintree, MA vs. Trumbull, CT

P8 7:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Vermont vs. NP-S (Host)

Friday, July 21, 2023

P9 10:00 AM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Trumbull, CT vs. Vermont

P10 1:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Tri-County (ME) vs. Waterford, CT

P11 4:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Cranston, RI vs. Western MA

P12 7:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field NP-S (Host) vs. Braintree, MA

Saturday, July 22, 2023

B13 10:00 AM - North Providence High School Baseball Field N 3rd Place vs. A 2nd Place

B14 1:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field A 3rd Place vs. N 2nd Place

Sunday, July 23, 2023

B15 10:00 AM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Bracket Winner B13 vs. N 1st Place

B16 1:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Bracket Winner B14 vs. A 1st Place

B17 4:00 PM - North Providence High School Baseball Field Bracket Winner B15 vs. Bracket Winner B16 (CHAMPIONSHIP GAME)


No comments: