Monday, July 17, 2023

From the Desk of Ponderous

 

Dave Parker (in yellow) on the National League bench

In the heat, humidity, and misery of today, I had one of those shows.

It was acerbic and willing to take shots.

It was borderline irrational and, when I step away, not my best look.

Admittedly, there are those who actually like it when I do those shows but I usually regret them when they're over.

But, in truth, there's always a method to my madness.

There are often messages being delivered to those who "can't handle the truth."

But that doesn't always mean this is the right way to proceed.

Oh, certainly, I was often foaming at the mouth over the complete embarrassment that was the Yankees in Denver this past weekend against the Rockies. I've never been a "fire everyone" type but good grief this was just horrible.

Aaron Boone lives in Greenwich and I've covered his son in Greenwich football. That doesn't mean he's immune and I didn't think he had a particularly strong game as manager yesterday.

But, indeed, fault can go around, including the players who were just not good. Blowing two two-run leads, baserunning blunders, defensive miscues, and so on.

Just bad baseball from a team that is paid exceedingly well to not play like that.

So, yeah. That got me going.

But when I see whining about why Lee Mazzilli wasn't the MVP of the 1979 All-Star Game, well, it just lights me up, and not in a good way.

Maybe because "Maz," who did have a walk, home run, and two RBIs, didn't create an iconic defensive play in right field.


Dave Parker did, gunning down Brian Downing at the plate and setting things up for Mazzilli to walk.

Ask people about the 1979 All-Star Game and they'll remind you of Parker's throw.

Incidentally, Mazzilli worked that base on balls off of Ron Guidry. You know, the Yankees pitcher. Not that that has anything to do with how Maz "should have been the MVP."

Noooooooo.

But, honestly, worrying about the 1979 All-Star Game MVP is as ludicrous as being concerned that Curt Schilling -- three outs away from being the losing pitcher in Game 7 -- was awarded co-MVP of the 2001 World Series. He shouldn't have been, but he was and that's the very nature of such things. They're utterly idiotic.

They're also hastily arranged votes from media members on-site. I've taken part in such things on a much smaller level. You write it quickly and that's it.

Randy Johnson should have been the sole MVP but who cares? The Diamondbacks won. End of story.

I need to keep prepping for Rhode Island.

Lest I see any passive-aggressive tweets aimed my way.

For the record, I am not *checks notes*: 1) a bot,  2) needing to hear a regular "home team" broadcaster, or 3) jealous. I am, however, passionate about play-by-play that is accurate and concise without exaggeration. When calling a hybrid (audio and video) broadcast, it is best to provide some details.

In the end, was it "negativity" or perhaps you're just better than that? I feel it's the latter but I don't stand on the high pulpit that others do when they beat their dead horses.

Sometimes, lessons get taught the hard way, I guess.

I need to stop.

But maybe I should just "keep doing my thing."

Fortunately, tomorrow's my last show of the week.

On that note, I'll behave.

Up next: a breakdown of the 2014 All-Star MVP and why it was Mike Trout.

No comments: