Saturday, July 01, 2023

On the Rodón

Carlos Rodón delivers a warmup pitch tonight

 

"We can live here another month," I said to Sean with a laugh as I left the envelope with the rent check in it.

There was a time when rent day might have had me curled up in a fetal position.

Now? Meh.

Oh, to be sure, I'll never enjoy writing the check. 

But I don't dread it. I don't worry about it.

I just write it and that's that.

When I think about everything we had been through over a whole lot of years, it's a relief and a blessing to feel this way.

I wrote the check, signed it, and put it in the envelope.

Then we went on with our day. 

Before that, I walked into town to pick up breakfast.

Then I walked to WGCH.

Sean was grateful for the surprise egg and cheese. I was grateful for continued exercise.

After paying the rent, we each drove up to Dutchess County before connecting again to head to the Stormville Airport flea market.

It's amazing to ponder that I first went there roughly 40 years ago. Maybe it was 1982. Or maybe 1983. It's one or the other.

I've been back many times over the years but have also gone stretches without going. This year, we've both stressed that we wanted to go. Neither one of goes with an agenda yet you know there are things we're both clearly looking for.

Today, we walked around and we were done within an hour. It was a small flea market and we bought nothing.

OK, that's not true. We bought two cider donuts, an apple cider for Sean and eventually lemonades for both of us.

With time to waste, he suggested a toy and collectible store in Pawling that he has wanted to take me to. 

Then it was onto the western side of the county for lunch before we went to the stadium.

Even there, it was an intriguing day as major leaguer Carlos Rodón made a rehab start on the mound.

That helped sell the ballpark out and there was an audible buzz as the game was drawing near.

Rodón went 3.2 allowing no runs, one hit, two walks, and eight strikeouts. He'll soon be with the Yankees.

I didn't even get to announce his name to the large crowd but the night was still a thrill.

I'll be back there Monday.

And, as with tonight, I didn't think about the rent check once.

Not until it was time to consider a blog post.

No comments: