Sunday, July 16, 2023

Clothes and Preparation and So On

 

Much to his dismay (or more likely relief), 
The Cat will not be going

Stop me if you've heard this story before.

I'm packed.

See, my thinking is to just be prepared. I mean that's the rule, right?

Forty-eight hours of preparation for each broadcast, right?

Anyway, I did laundry and mapped things out for the week.

We also kept an eye on the raindrops as well as the sky, since there was a tornado watch at one point.

Alas, nothing, I'm glad to say.

People in my business get very uptight about what to wear. They also get very uptight about preparation, climbing on high horses will quoting long-deceased announcers of a different era.

I'm not immune but, come on, common sense has to prevail.

At first, we'd wear what I typically wear to a game. The look was always comfortable and appropriate. Yes, that even included jeans. I certainly didn't think it impacted the quality of the broadcast.

I've mostly pulled jeans out of the gameday look but I'm not against wearing them in certain spots.

But, this week, it's shorts.

And shorts.

And shorts.

I'm told the North Providence High School press box will be rather warm and, as I tend to crawl around plugging things in, as well as looking like a defensive lineman (with zero of their talent), I'll be doing anything to stay cool.

Plus shorts pack better so I'm all set with a duffel bag. I look forward to wherever I'm staying over those days.

Besides, I don't think anyone will look askance at me because I'm in an Under Armour polo and khaki shorts. Do we really still buy into the "clothes make the man" stuff when it's 89 degrees in a Babe Ruth 14U tournament?

Some do, getting very holier-than-thou about this and more. It's a very big problem in the business these days.

I remember when we insisted on a more "professional" look with the HAN Network. Yeah. That was a thing. It was also a thing to wear a jacket, shirt, and tie on camera while standing behind a desk with shorts on that nobody could see.

Oh, and as for preparation? I'm fine but never as prepared as I'd truly like to be.

Anyway, I just have to double-check equipment and if I want to bring anything extra, such as the pod and the Pelican case, along with getting some supplies like water and I'll be ready to hit the road.

This, by the way, is the run-up to vacation towards the end of the next week. My son -- yes, him -- has admitted he is excited to go.

Wait just a minute and sound the alarm! My always cool child professed that he is looking forward to 1) our adventure, and 2) his adventure after I drop him off.

We discussed that as we left the stadium last night after an enjoyable evening of Renegades baseball.

The upcoming trip is fun because it's different for us. We're not purely going to North Carolina, hanging with family, and coming home. We're seeing friends in Buffalo, then checking out Pittsburgh, then staying in West Virginia, then North Carolina, then Maryland where he's staying before I come home.

But that's after Rhode Island.

That adventure is later this week.

First game is Wednesday at 10 with Waterford and Cranston, RI.

On Robcasting: robcasting.mixlr.com.

This, by the way, kept me from having a meltdown over the New York Yankees.

I'll let the disaster marinate until tomorrow at 4 p.m. on "Doubleheader."

No comments: