Friday, July 21, 2023

Night 3: Underdressed?

 

The booth at North Providence

Pool play concluded today at the Babe Ruth New England Regional.

Four more games included wins for Trumbull, Waterford, Pittsfield, and Braintree.

We said goodbye to the teams from Vermont and Maine, who both went 0-3. I always find that sad.

Somehow we avoided all rain and thunderstorms and got the games in.

Fearing a storm, the folks at North Providence High School had me move into the press box for the last game to protect the equipment. I prepared for the storms but decided the booth was the best call.

Oh, I was prepared. I had my Pelican case, rain jackets and an umbrella. Things would have stayed dry but I was up for moving into the booth at that point.

It didn't rain until I was sitting outside with Trumbull families a few minutes ago. I walked out to grab dinner and ran into a whole group, who greeted me with applause.

Nothing I deserve for sure but I'm so grateful anyway. The reviews of the broadcasts have been wonderful.

Oh, for the record, I wore a pair of patterned shorts along with a black Under Armour polo, and New Balance sneakers.

A storm of a different kind brewed over in the Play-by-Play group that I'm an admin in on Facebook.

A member posted about game day attire. The minute I saw the post, I felt my blood begin to boil.

Cue the pearl-clutching.

Cue the elitism.

Cue the arrogance.

One member responded by saying we should "dress to respect the sport." For the love of Marty Glickman (well-known legendary New York play-by-player), what does that even mean?

I'm disrespecting baseball because I'm in clean, neat shorts with a polo shirt and sneakers?

Then there was the "suit for hockey" crowd. Yes, I did high-level hockey. I wore a jacket and tie because I was told to do so. I followed the rules.

But at Brunswick hockey? Comfy and appropriate is my rule. Khakis, a warm top, and a heavy jacket. Staying in winter sports, it's normally a quarter zip pullover and khakis for basketball.

Do I ever wear jeans? I used to but they were always neat and appropriate. I don't do it as much anymore.

I can't see where anyone -- literally, anyone -- has judged me for my appearance when calling games given how I normally dress.

Again, the intense arrogance of this group is astounding. It's the same garbage about preparation for a game. And it's from the same crowd.

Oh, I can feel the blood getting even hotter.

Preparation is another hot-button topic. For the record, reviews of these broadcasts have been strong. I might have said that already. How many notes, charts, graphs, and colored pens do you think I showed up with?

Few.

On the fly, I've pulled up things when prompted. I've used my knowledge for virtually everything else.

As for my appearance, I'd have to go shopping if anyone has a complaint. I have a couple of polos and more shorts to wear for the balance of the trip. Somehow -- silly me! -- I neglected to pack a jacket and tie.

We did that towards the end of my tenure at HAN Network. It wasn't my idea, and I can't make that clear enough.

So I could be seen hosting "Coffee Break" or "Nutmeg Sports" in a jacket and tie ... with shorts on behind the desk.

Keep in mind I mostly engineer my own stuff. Therefore, I can be found literally crawling around a press box. I'm sure my dry cleaning bill would love that!

So, at HAN for games, I'd often show up dressed to do the manual labor of setup before heading somewhere private to change into the jacket and tie.

I don't think it improved the quality of our broadcasts nor do I think any viewer cared.

Oh, one other member in the group said that anyone who shows up to work a game with him in jeans gets sent home.

To that, I can't decide if I want to laugh or find another emotion.

Could you imagine me sending Chris Erway home because he showed up in jeans to call Greenwich/Trumbull?

Safe to say these people don't exist in a judgment-free zone.

If I showed up in literally anything than shorts for the Babe Ruth regional, I'd be laughed out of the field. Given temperatures have drifted through the upper 80s and real feel temperatures even hotter, I would look ridiculous and overheated.

So, again, my rules are for comfort, looking neat, and being appropriately dressed.

Now, if I'm not the one making the rules, then I do as I'm told. With the Renegades, I've been allowed to dress as I wish. That doesn't mean I overstep my boundaries but there can be a level of play to this given I'm in the PA booth. I wouldn't have normally worn a jersey, for instance, but the PA booth is meant to be more fun than the radio/TV booth.

But if the rule is a suit, then fine. I don't mind wearing a suit. I don't mind dressing up. When I do conferences, I wear a suit because that's what is expected of me.

I actually put great thought into how I look (up to a point).

My play-by-play brethren are supposed to help each other. God (or Vin Scully) forbid we ever criticize without being on a high horse.

Oh, wait. Criticism isn't allowed. Unless it's about how we dress.

Or how we prepare.

It must be brutal to be that perfect.

Back to the tournament tomorrow morning at 10.

No comments: