Wednesday, July 26, 2023

On to the Next One

 

I-95 South near Fredericksburg, VA (2009).
Not sure if I'll be making this drive but the
Babe Ruth World Series will be played in part off this exit.

Wednesday morning.

Three days since the end of the last trip. Less than forty-eight hours from the next one.

I'll bring the radio equipment -- at least, a small case of stuff -- because you never know. The probability of me doing a show from somewhere exists.

And there's that lingering Babe Ruth World Series itch to be scratched.

We're not packed yet. Surprised, right? 

I could start, having done laundry following my return to Rhode Island. Most of what I had with me there is heading out with me again. 

But this trip is longer. There are more pieces to the puzzle.

Buffalo. Pittsburgh. West Virginia. Fayetteville. Maryland.

Virginia?

Friends. Family. Miles. Food. Good times.

I see the nights in Buffalo are cool so a sweatshirt isn't the worst idea to pack. I didn't have one of those with me in Providence so I'll need to add that.

So, yes, laundry. It will get done. 

An oil change for my car as well. I don't have to go to Mahopac to do that but it does give me an excuse to go there. In fact, I'll do that after getting my car washed in Mount Kisco.

Plus we have to take Sean's car back to his mother's up in Dutchess County.

See, it's an old family tradition. Back in the days of yore (circa, 60s-70s) my father would insist on having the car washed and vacuumed before leaving for Florida. He wanted a clean car, including the windows. 

Especially the windows.

I'm his son. I might not be blue-collar like he was but I'm most definitely his son.

Clean windows. Clean car. I absolutely agree.

So, yeah, that will happen. Clean windows for road pictures and the like.

Then there's the Virginia question. Yes, we will most definitely pass through Virginia, whether I'm driving straight home or taking Sean to meet his friends in Ocean City, MD.

But Virginia is also the home of the 14U Babe Ruth World Series. I'm so honored that the families and the team want me there to call the games but I think the sad reality is that I won't be allowed to -- even if I was available.

Yes, I've mapped it out. See, I have to be back in Connecticut to teach at CSB. So I have it in my mind to drop Sean off in Marlyand, drive home to the cat, sleep in Connecticut for a few nights, go teach Monday morning in Stratford, and leave for Fredericksburg as soon as it's over.

But, still, I've done my homework, and the Babe Ruth World Series in Fredericksburg has an official streaming provider. They charge for the games. Do you think they'll be cool if some little ol' audio broadcaster from Connecticut plops down to call some of the action ... for free?

Sadly, I expect no to be the answer. They probably have some kind of exclusive agreement. Plus, let's face it. As much as families might enjoy my call they want video. In the eyes of most, they'd like the video and the audio call.

Also, I'd need a place to stay.

I think there are too many variables to get me to do those games in Virginia, so I'm not very high on the odds. That doesn't mean I'm giving up.

Yet, the idea of calling a few games from Virginia Credit Union Stadium -- the home of the minor league Fredericksburg Nationals -- is completely delicious to me. It's even better because that was the home of one Mr. Joey Zanaboni, regional president of the Rob Adams Can Drop Dead Fan Club!

I keep adding new members all the time, sadly.

My broadcasts would be hotter than a Waffle House customer after pouring a bottle of Frank's Red Hot on my smothered, covered, and scattered hash browns!

The more likely scenario is perhaps I go visit everyone and watch a game before my journey comes to an end.

Sadly, such agreements with broadcasters do exist, even at this age. Think of ESPN with Little League, at the high end of the insanity scale. We even had an exclusive agreement with the FCIAC when I was at HAN and had the right to veto other broadcasters. In fact, we did one time. 

So, assuming that doesn't happen, I'm still incredibly proud of the work we did in both Trumbull and North Providence, producing 29 game broadcasts from July 8th until the 23rd. And not a soul is questioning my preparation on or off the air.

Or how I was dressed.

Or if I could adjust from covering just one team to covering six other teams that I haven't seen.

Yeah. We need some hobbies.

And I need to really get away.

So, back to the point.

Laundry.

Car wash.

Oil change.

Drop Sean's car off.

Pack.

We'll be ready.

No comments: