Monday, July 24, 2023

Being a Mentor

 

(Photo: Getty)

I'm going to try to keep this judgment/criticism free.

So there are a few members of the broadcasting community -- several, actually -- who offer critiques and advice.

As you probably know, I do the same.

They do it for a fee.

I do it for free.

There's always someone who has a son, daughter, nephew, niece, friend, or some other connection who wants to talk with me about broadcasting. 

I'm happy to. I'm normally thrilled.

And many have asked to have their work listened to. Heck, I had a student going into being a radio DJ ask for a review of their "tape" or "demo reel" (both of which are outdated terms but we all know what it means).

Again, I'm thrilled. One person getting my advice has become a popular local air talent in Fairfield County. He met me at CSB and I was happy to help.

There's joy in this. For one thing, I love -- seriously love, love, love -- talking about this business. For another, it's amazing to watch these people of all ages develop and improve and reach some great heights.

Look, I could set a list of those I've trained -- for free -- but I don't need a brag book like that. That said, I'll mention a few.

I count Matt Hamilton (formerly of the NFL Network and now with FanDuel TV) and Jake Zimmer (PA announcer for the Boston Bruins and the Premier Lacrosse League) as some of the many who have come through the "School of Rob."

Jeez. I think I just threw up a little after saying that. "School of Rob?" Really?

Heck, even Chris Erway and Chris Kaelin -- and so many others -- sort of came that way. Kato went to CSB and Erway interned at WGCH. Then we all connected.

Some of them didn't even need my advice or critique. They were always ready. Most aren't.

But the point is they all got the criticism, philosophy, and standards that I work with. Does that work for everyone? No. Very much no.

I've also sadly lost touch with some that I've trained.

Now, let's be clear. As you know, I work for CSB and students do pay to go there. So, yes, I'm getting paid when I do that. But bringing them to visit WGCH or a Robcasting game site is on me.

And every year when possible I take part in any career gathering that wants me. Sometimes, I get lunch or a cup of coffee or some SWAG out of the deal but that's about it.

Others go with a pay system. Good for them.

I simply can't do it.

I've gone and called games with people -- for free -- as a form of mentoring. That's how I did Pleasantville High School basketball and baseball and even their co-op hockey team. That's how I went and did King School football another time.

And, I suppose, that's how I've done some Trumbull High School football, basketball, and hockey as well. Jeff Alterman was a complete newbie when starting the TEN Network.

Payment? He got me ice cream one time, a burger another time, and a couple of shirts from Trumbull Athletics. I could be forgetting things but the point is I like helping him.

This is also all part of paying it forward. It's far more important to me than you might think.

My running joke is always "Please don't take my job" but, otherwise, I'm happy to celebrate your success. I love seeing what Matt, Jake, and others have done. I think they'll be the first to tell you that.

But they'll also say I'm not a pushover.

See, a little secret is that I'm a tough critic of this business. Oh, that part isn't a secret. The part that's secret is that there's a method to my madness. I'm willing to bet there are several young broadcasters who think I'm a complete jerk.

Maybe I am.

But I'm often trying to deliver a different message and it's not landing. Then I get passive-aggressive tweets aimed at me from other wannabe mentors. Again, no one is getting the point.

In truth, I'm mentoring in the process by delivering much-needed critiques that aren't being given otherwise. They just get pacified and that's awful.

The point is that they're better than that. It's the attitude, the ego, the entitlement, and the arrogance that will be their undoing.

I'm not a phony. I'm not here for that. I'm not here to do "atta boy/girl" on every little thing.

And yet I'll be your biggest cheerleader.

That's what being a mentor is. It's honesty. It's sharing. It's paying it forward and, often, that becomes a two-way street.

It's not about taking hard-earned money. At least not to me, but again, hey. Do what you've got to do.

You know. "Keep doing your thing."

We have a serious problem where only those with money are getting into the business because their parents helped them (and they went to "the right school").

We need to be better than that.

So if you're curious about the business and want a friend (essential for survival), contact me.

I think most who have done so have found it worth it.

No comments: