Saturday, October 30, 2021

The Exhaustion of "The Big Game"

 


Today's game between Greenwich New Canaan needed no hype. 

See, that's the thing. As broadcasters, we overhype things all the time. You know this.

But what needed to be said? Greenwich and New Canaan were two top six teams in Connecticut according to the media poll coming into today.

(The one I don't vote in)

But nothing needed to be set up as GINORMOUS or GARGANTUAN. I mean, why? Two great teams. Longtime rivals. The winningest coach in Connecticut history (Lou Marinelli of New Canaan). 

Two legacy programs.

I didn't need to sell it.

Now, it wasn't the game of the day. That would have been Darien at St. Joe's, however that game didn't quite have the old classic feel to it (Darien won 42-14). So we had the better game but not the bigger game.

Still, when it was over, New Canaan's defense held Big Red to only a Logan Galletta punt return touchdown as the Rams won 14-7.

Now, I know I was tired because, well, that's me. I'm tired. A lot. That's a whole different topic.

But, as we hit halftime, I played a bunch of PSA's (read: free commercials) so I could just stare into space for a moment.

Exhausted. I could feel the weight of the game.

I looked at Chris Erway.

He agreed.

We all know I carry every broadcast on my shoulders. Not that Chris doesn't. He's a wonderful partner to work with and we laugh and have a good time.

But I've talked about this many times. I feel a responsibility. I feel it's important to call the game with accuracy and excitement while remaining grounded.

Sure, Greenwich winning would be fine. The Cardinals winning means more happy fans and more broadcasts for me. Of course, that's true. Plus the game was in Greenwich so that meant the home crowd would have been energized.

And, when you get right down to it, it's a Greenwich broadcast because they pay for it. That doesn't mean I'm going to change my style.

Another team's fans are watching. I feel a responsibility to call it with truth and excitement for them also.

Then there are the curiosity seekers. These are the fans who just want to watch the game with no rooting interest.

Lastly, there are a few who are checking in to listen to us.

I take it all to heart.

In truth, working at Cardinal Stadium can be exhausting because our booth door simply revolves on and off for roughly four hours.

There are people who want to chat, say hello, ask questions, talk shop, set up, break down, wash, rinse, and repeat. There are those who want us to play different music or make an announcement...and don't realize that's not our department.

Then there are the texts and messages I receive throughout the game. Incidentally, I repeat: WGCH is not broadcasting Greenwich sports at all right now. While my heart is broken about this fact, all I can say to you is that I tried. Someone else can take it up with the station.

Anyway, peace comes postgame.

So we set up our equipment. Today, I ran a small speaker into the PA booth so that they could hear the broadcast. PA announcers and broadcasters -- most good ones -- try to work in tandem. The wonderful Nick Fesko picks up on things that I say and vice-versa. So I set up a system in which he can hear the broadcast.

There are cables to run to Local Live to get them sound since they had to bring a videographer onsite.

There is the testing of all of this, followed by taping down of cables, etc.

Somewhere along the line, we like to get to the field. Today, we could barely get to the gate to talk to Greenwich coach Anthony Morello. Personally, I like to walk the field, listen to practice, get a feel for conditions, and see what I can take with me back to the booth.

And, if we're being honest, Chris and I really like the tailgate before the game. Why? Some of the best tidbits (and food) come from it. In that regard, 2021 has not been kind because we have not been to one yet.

I feel the sting of that failure.

So, take all of this and add in the magnitude of the game and perhaps you can understand why I grabbed food at Wegman's (again!) and came home before falling asleep for a short time.

Four soccer games await tomorrow and I'm so pleased with the number of rosters and notes I've received from the eight teams. 

Game 1 is tomorrow at 10 am.

No comments: