Friday, October 29, 2021

Roll With the Changes

 


I tell prospective broadcasters to "be adaptable."

I warn them they'll deal with everything. It's simply the nature of the beast.

I mentioned that there was a schedule hiccup on Wednesday and I elected to go home. That's not usually my approach but I didn't think, given the circumstances, my audio-only broadcast would be advantageous.

A similar situation happened tonight. However, this time there would be a video broadcast. It just couldn't take my audio.

So, believing in the commitment and the duty, and given I'd driven to the site, I plowed ahead and called the game on Robcasting. I tweeted to the world to watch the video and try to sync it up with the video feed.

The numbers indicated that, basically, nobody did that. Sure, that's demoralizing, but it's also necessary to just keep going.

I will admit I had a moment where I texted someone and questioned my sanity. The response was almost immediate.

"Because it's your passion and you're amazing at it," they said.

I'll take the praise but am not so sure I agree with the "amazing" part.

Still, I used the opportunity to challenge myself because I don't think I've ever called soccer as a true audio broadcast. So I had to really dig deeper through describing. It's second nature to me for almost any other sport. I'm sure field hockey or water polo or wrestling or some other sports might challenge me.

And soccer was a challenge.

So I leaned on details. 

Nobody listened? OK, not quite nobody and, to be honest, important people still listened. Either way, I saw the good in what I was presented with and was happy that I persevered.

I realized where I could improve. I also strengthened relationships. All good.

Tomorrow also presents a challenge, though quickly resolved. That 3pm start for football with New Canaan and Greenwich? It's now kicking off at 1pm (due to weather, I assume) but, if not for Chris Erway messaging me that he saw the change, I'm not sure I'd know about it. Regardless, I'm glad I do know but it just changes my day. In the end, again, all good.

And Sunday? Based on what's in my email, I have all of the rosters in question. But, still, among the classes I'd like to teach is Roster Preparation 101 as Professor Adams explains the importance of typing rosters in a spreadsheet format (Excel or similar) so that they can be sorted -- ESPECIALLY BY NUMBER.

I'm not looking to embarrass anyone (and I have far too many examples) but my oh my I spent more time formatting (and typing) things as opposed to actually learning them.

The last change to note isn't official so I won't tell you what it is but a game has changed days and a team has requested my presence. So, we're not closing or opening doors. We're just switching doors.

Again, strengthening relationships.

As for the rest of the night, I stopped at Wegman's near White Plains (one of the weirdest places to try to get to) and did a little grocery shopping. In the always-glamorous life of a broadcaster, I then enjoyed my dinner of spicy shrimp sushi po boy rolls from the front seat of my car.

Which certainly sounds pathetic and lonely and, in some ways, it is, but it did the job.

I drove home so I could watch the World Series and continue to hear/read people moan about the Tomahawk Chop.

I get it but, again, the more you complain the more it will happen.

It's so sad that's what we're focusing on but when one's life is...well, that and the other repetitive nonsense...then I realize that sitting in Wegman's parking lot eating spicy shrimp sushi po boy roll isn't all that bad.

Pass the soy sauce, please.

No comments: