Thursday, October 28, 2021

Game Prep Times Six

 

There will be fútbol and football coming up

I'm prepping for six games.

You've read that correctly.

Actually, it would have been seven had yesterday's game come to be. Well, check that. The GAME happened. The BROADCAST didn't. I was there but, well, things happen. The game site changed and then I noticed the broadcast wasn't listed online.

I went home.

But tomorrow brings new opportunities! Then Saturday. Then Sunday!

So here's what we have as of now...

Tomorrow, 5pm: Hopkins at Brunswick (boys soccer). Oh, and I could have done water polo also. I've done it and I'd love to do it again.

Saturday, 3pm: New Canaan at Greenwich (football). Arguably the second biggest game in Connecticut this weekend (with Darien at St. Joe's as the big dog).

Then comes Sunday with four Section 1 (New York) girls soccer championships at Nyack High School:

10am: Bronxville/Briarcliff (Class B)

12:30pm: Haldane/Yonkers Montessori (Class C)

3pm: Arlington/John Jay East Fishkill (Class AA and, yes, John Jay is where Sean went to school)

5:30pm: Clarkstown North/Rye (Class A)

There are obviously challenges with all of this. My brethren in the biz would be having a heart attack because they can't spend the 20 hours per game or whatever that it is they do.

Hell, I had enough difficulty finding who won the semifinal games tonight in Section 1 girls soccer. Then I hunted down a contact for each of the EIGHT teams and sent a group email to request rosters and any other information. From there, I know Kevin Devaney, Jr can help me with a few tidbits (for instance, I already learned that Albertus Magnus losing in the semifinals to Clarkstown North was huge!).

Sometimes, the Twitter world can step up also. So it will come together. When I did this same day in 2019, I walked in with no rosters. That is correct. Zero. I had to scramble, working with the PA announcer that day. I made it work.

Incidentally, it took eight rounds of penalty kicks for Clarkstown North to win that game against Albertus Magnus.

Keep in mind I'm covering some of these schools for the first time and working games at a site I've never worked at (Nyack High School). From there, I don't know what my space will be or what kind of internet/cell service I'll have or who my cameraperson will be.

As for Brunswick/Hopkins, I'm trying to get a roster from the Hilltoppers as we speak for tomorrow night.

My point is there's an overwhelming amount of things to consider, from the broadcast itself and the info I can assemble to making sure I have enough food and drink to survive.

Of course, there's also the matter of my voice. Honey lemon drops for the win!

Next week will be no easier. Election Night awaits (again) along with my 53rd FCIAC Championship call, this one in boys soccer (my fourth). Then we'll head to Danbury High School on Friday for the Cardinals and Hatters in football. Next Saturday will (likely) take me to Avon Old Farms for Brunswick football.

A week later will bring on more Section 1 sports, with two football championship calls at Arlington High School.

So, yeah, it's a lot of juggling assignments.

I won't need anyone to fill in for me.

I've got this.

Oh and I'll be working most of these games alone unless something changes.

Now I have to print the scorecards and those rosters and anything else. And I have to keep it all organized.

It's absolutely stunning to me that I was ever questioned in my career about this. Stunning.

And I still have a podcast to edit.

And the GYFL (youth football) is reaching out.

It's a wonderful time of the year.

(PS, Hopkins has already sent me a roster. Thanks, Coach!)

No comments: