Thursday, August 19, 2021

Waking up to an alert

 


Last night's game was brutal.

The broadcast was 4:30 minutes total for an 11-7 win by the Cyclones that just dragged along.

So, by the time Sean and I left the stadium, stopped to pick him up orange juice, and stumbled into meet Rascal the cat, it was heading for 12:30 a.m. Now add in the time to decompress and write and post a game story, and we've soared past 1 a.m.

So it was that my brain exploded at the sound of a shrill alarm emanating from my phone around 4:45. It was a tornado warning!

A twistah! It's a twistah!

I sat in bed. I looked at Rascal.

"Well," I said. "What now?"

Oh, I know I could have moved to the bathtub or gone downstairs. While we don't get that many tornadoes around here, I knew the drill. I listened in the early morning air as the fans whirred in my room. 

I also considered Sean, who was no doubt passed out. I used to sleep like a rock also. Used to.

So I stayed in bed and monitored things. I listened as the rain intensely fell outside. Then -- right around 5:15 -- it let up.

That's when the warning expired.

There was no need to call Auntie Em. No cows flying across the road.

No tornado. No yellow brick road.

I was able to curl up and sleep again for a few more hours.

*****


The first of the Jake and Jomboy videos hit yesterday. In what was a bad move, I read the comments that poured in and thought one of them could have been a shot at me (about an annoying voice).

Actually, in the end, I don't think it was but either way I had fun with it. I expected something to be said and I know it's the nature of the beast. I was scolded for reading the comments but I really didn't mind. In fact, I interacted with a few of the commenters and got some nice compliments.

It was all in good fun for me. I expected something mean -- it's bound to happen -- but otherwise, I enjoyed reading it.

Keep in mind this was a gig in which I was told to go call a "Blitzball" game and those on the field would keep me updated where rules interpretations and other things were necessary. It was, frankly, hard to keep track of, but Tom Prizeman's editing was also huge in the video itself.

I was also told to stay, essentially, a professional broadcaster (meaning, don't do what I normally do). So I did and the response seems good so far.

It was fun and there's more to come out from Jomboy Media (and JM Baseball).

Great stuff.

No comments: