Sunday, August 22, 2021

It's worth it

 

Rascal stands at attention as "Taps" is played following the game

Let me cut to the chase: last night was great.

Like, simply put, wonderful. Was it a broadcast I want to go to a Hall of Fame? No, of course not. Of course, I questioned myself for getting hyped up on a grand slam in the first inning but when you consider James Nelson hadn't gotten a big hit in a while and the Gades were down 4-0 already?

Yeah. I can justify it. It turned the entire game.

But it was more than the game.

Last night was about veterans, as the Renegades donned special uniforms that were auctioned after the game was over.

I was actually tempted to pursue getting one but, ultimately, I'm glad I didn't as the prices got a little too high for my taste. The one jersey that I thought that would fit -- that of closer Derek Craft (whom I've gotten to know) -- was too expensive. I also heard he was pursuing getting it himself as he has family members in the military.


But watching the parade of motorcycles on the field and the first pitch ceremonies and the smiles on everyone's faces brought me a lot of joy.

In those times it's easy to forget the behind-the-scenes work and the grind of the pregame things. At that point, the technical issues become a small but frustrating part of all of the joy that goes into what I do.

All I saw was happiness everywhere. This is a week in which my child high-fived me -- TWICE -- once when I told him the Yankees had won and once because he loved my call of Anthony Volpe's home run call on Thursday night. Exactly who is this guy?

Derek Craft warms up before the ninth inning

The night ended with Derek Craft -- who told me he hoped he would pitch last night -- closing out the Brooklyn Cyclones in the ninth for the save in a 6-4 win. "Big D" gave his trademark salute, fittingly, after the final out.

It also meant that the homestand was over because the team announced that today's game was postponed due to the hurricane/tropical storm that was on the way to the northeast. Specifically, we knew there would be too much rain to play so the decision became a no-brainer. It will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Sep 8.

It also dawned on me that with this homestand coming to a close that there are only 13 home games left -- with 12 actual home dates (the doubleheader counting as one). Barring a trip to the championship, this wild first season is winding down.

I drove home and found myself thinking not about the storm but about how lucky I was to be enjoying this summer of baseball with family and friends. I was also grateful for the opportunity to thank veterans -- including my dad, uncles, cousins, and friends (including Susan's dad) -- who have protected this country.

The Gades are off to North Carolina for two weeks before the final homestand begins on Sep 7.

No comments: