Friday, August 27, 2021

FREE AGENCY ANNOUNCEMENT

Rob Adams (right) and Chris Erway have been a part of
Greenwich football broadcasts on WGCH for over a decade.

From: SEE Agency (Scully/Emrick/Enberg)                                           

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

P R E S S  R E L E A S E 

Broadcaster Rob Adams announces he is available and open to opportunities

Rob Adams, known to many as the "voice" of Greenwich High School Football since 1999, is announcing he is a free agent today.

"It has been brought to my attention that, as of right now, WGCH Radio will not be broadcasting Cardinals football in 2021, as we have since 1964," Adams said. "While saddened, I understand the economic reality of the situation. I hope we can resolve this but, at least in the interim, I have to look into what's best for me, my son, my cat, and my audience."

Adams -- also considered the lead broadcaster for Brunswick School sports by many, as well as the "voice" of Hudson Valley Renegades baseball, will entertain offers at this time. No word yet on the status of his longtime football broadcast partner, Chris Erway.

#SEE#


Obviously, I don't have an agent nor is there an agency making statements about me, though I'd certainly like one named after the GOATS. Basically everything else in that "press release" is accurate. I hinted at this a few weeks back and, unfortunately, nothing has changed.

I write this with no malice for WGCH as my love (and occasional frustration) for the place I've called home since 1997 remains strong. Certainly, I'm disappointed and concerned but I also know it's nothing personal. There's always a chance that WGCH could put the pieces together to make it all work and get me on the air calling games eventually.

I'm heartbroken how the sports department I helmed that once did over 100 games a year has dwindled to, literally, nothing. The Red Sox, UConn, Fairfield University and Hofstra University had, at one time or another, become more important. Even the Bridgeport Bluefish at one point. 

But, staying on point, I don't know if I could do the first couple of Greenwich football games other than to help set up equipment and maybe say hello due to the Renegades. I've tried to map that out and even draw up substitute broadcasters if WGCH gets whatever is needed.

After that, there are plenty of scenarios. Barring anything strange (and assuming they want me), I should be set to return to Brunswick and call their football games if I can make it. I'm hoping they'll have space for me on other fall sports as well but those are conversations we need to have.

As for GHS, I can tell you I've talked to someone about other options. Could GHS move to Robcasting, even on a smaller basis? Sure. I'm solid for the last six games of the season (and maybe more) as well as the playoffs but there are definitely moving parts for me at the moment.

So with this open canvas...

Do I create a Robcasting Game of the Week?

Join Jeff Alterman on Trumbull High School games?

Do Mahopac (probably the least likely, unfortunately)?

Work something out with Local Live for something else?

Create a new opportunity somewhere else?

Or do I just stay home?

The truth is I'm a working reporter and broadcaster. That's where I belong. I should be calling games. I'd like to think I belong on all calls. Championship calls. Any call. So I'd like to believe I'm wanted somewhere and that's what I've always said. I want to be where I'm wanted. That's important.

I'd prefer to have my dance card fairly full with at least one football game per week if not two. As it is, dear friends AJ and Victoria are getting married in October and I plan to call Brunswick and then fly (via car) to the hotel that Saturday for their wedding on Sunday. That's just how I roll.

Any of these options (and others) are in play. It's a strange, sad, unique, exciting time. I'd prefer to not work for free, no question. I'll also be busy doing video depos once again for Craig and Dan, who'd like to have me back now.

So let's sum up:

- Greenwich football will likely not air on WGCH Radio. To my knowledge, it will air on Local Live but, I'm not sure I'm their broadcaster.

- I'm not necessarily done with Greenwich.

- Brunswick hopefully wants me.

- Maybe Greenwich wants me. Hopefully.

- I'm a somewhat open slate right now. (NOTHING IS FIRM YET)

There are only two weeks until the first Greenwich game. As it is, I probably can't broadcast it. Same with week two.

So how does this play out?

Time will tell.

No comments: