Monday, August 09, 2021

Random Monday thoughts

 

It's International Cat Day. So here's a cat in an ice cream carton.

It's just one of those nights where I'm worn out and am sort of checked out.

It's nothing bad. It's just that I'm preparing to crank it back up for 12 games in 13 days.

OK, my sleep pattern is completely off and I haven't slept well over the past few nights. That doesn't help things.

I basically parked my car after making a quick run to the nearby store on Friday and haven't left since. That will change tomorrow, of course.

The schedule is just hectic at times. I have a podcast to record tomorrow morning. I have to be at the stadium and (most likely) do "Doubleheader" each day at 4. So I'll likely be at the stadium by 3-3:30 at the latest. On Thursday and Friday, I'm going to CSB in Stratford, CT to teach for roughly four hours each day.

Plus Doubleheader (maybe).

Plus the game broadcasts.

So it will be a bit insane but we'll get through it. Then we'll do it again next week sans teaching at CSB. Then we'll take a break for two weeks.

The key is to deal with it in small chunks. Keep an eye on the future and be prepared but stay in the moment. That's the best way to avoid getting overwhelmed. It doesn't always work.

- Sean and I have played with some sort of small getaway (it's his last chance before college begins) again. We're both feeling the need for another Waffle House, etc type of day (or days).

Look, scoff all you want at the cuisine choices but it's an important bond. I've said it before: one day, Sean is going to evolve into not traveling with me. I know it and it's natural. So for now I embrace it.

We weigh our options. We think about our priorities. For instance, Sean has wanted to take Amtrak somewhere but it's not like a train just drops you at a Waffle House. Also, a lot of hotel prices are, frankly, insane. We thought about running to Scranton for a RailRiders game but then I looked at prices to stay over and...nope.

So, it might not happen.

- I appreciate the thoughts on last night's post. I know there are some who would have liked me to condemn those who are unvaccinated. The thing is I want people to get the shot. Period. But I also know there are exceptions. I honestly don't have much patience for those not getting it for political reasons or some conspiracy. But I'm also not going to change anyone's minds.

Yet, here: get the jab, pretty please?

Better?

- Then there's the "Dinger" situation in Denver. Good grief but there are a lot of people redfaced today from the quick judgment and overreaction. I was as prepared as anyone to denounce it but, in the end, that would have been wrong.

Fortunately, I did my due diligence before saying anything.

- Joe Buck hosted "Jeopardy" tonight. Once more: Joe Buck is great at what he does. He won't get the job so he'll be right back rocking football and baseball on FOX.

That's probably enough babbling tonight. Hug someone. Have a laugh.

And listen to some baseball tomorrow (7:00 on Z93 and a little earlier online at milb.tv and on our Gameday Audio!

No comments: