Sunday, August 01, 2021

Making the right call

A tip of the headset to Ezequiel and Josh

I don't have it tonight.

"It" is the ability to keep my dumb mouth shut. I normally wind up saying something dumb.

So I'm just going to throw a few thoughts here and go to bed.

The crazy stretch is over and I won't call any games tomorrow.

Of course, there's "Doubleheader" and "Renegades Weekly" tomorrow.

But no games. I have called at least one game per day since a week ago Friday. So, nine straight days. No complaints and nobody is going to put me in a hall of fame for it. I'm grateful but am also exhausted.

I'll call one in a few days. Details to follow but I'm nervously excited.

*****

As you probably know by now, Josh Smith and Ezequiel Duran were traded the other night to the Rangers. I think I wrote that we made sure to keep any rumors and details off of the game broadcast.

Tonight, I saw that Josh and his wife Claire made a vlog about the experience. It's worth watching in part to understand some of the behind-the-scenes of life in minor league baseball. 

I thoroughly enjoyed covering both Josh and Ezequiel. In fact, I interviewed Josh not long after he arrived in the Hudson Valley. The night after the trade, I put their names on my scorecard as a tribute to them. Dumb? Maybe to you but a small thing that I felt the urge to do. I had heard that there were some strong emotions in the Gades' dugout the night of the trade and I'm a softie.

The video posted by Josh Smith shows that while he had some mixed emotions he soon became truly excited to go to the Texas Rangers.

Incidentally, they were both sent to Hickory, North Carolina. 

In High A East.

The same league as the Renegades. Unfortunately, the Gades and Crawdads won't play each other in 2021.

But I really wish both Josh and Ezequiel well. It was a blast to watch them.

*****


I'm not much of a salesman. Never have been. The thought of cold calling makes me sick.

But I sold tickets to a baseball game. I called the Babe Ruth New England regional that Trumbull won. They decided to come to today's game as a team event. Head coach Mike Buswell even came on the air for an inning.

I had a little something to do with all of that and I'm proud of it.

*****


Anthony Volpe is a player you're going to want to keep an eye on. He is enormously talented and will only get better. 

His family was at the stadium today and I was able to meet them, along with Anthony's dog.

As for Anthony, what did he do? He hit a two-run homer with his family in attendance. Some of Pat DeMarco's family was on hand and he homered also.

Special stuff.

*****

This post was going to be about the relentless narcissism in my business. I knew it wouldn't come across the way I wanted it to. We'll try again some other time.

No comments: