Saturday, August 28, 2021

On Being Fair

How great does that uniform look?

I have this sort of war going on. I read these things on Twitter (which I think I heard Sean call "The Devil's Kitchen" or something like that) and I find them utterly ridiculous.

I often respond, if indirectly (such as...this blog post!).

My current favorite is the clown (yes, I'll use that word) who obsesses over managers not managing in baseball. It's impressive how much he has killed the horse in that it's long past the glue factory. I'm further impressed that he's the angriest person I've found, surpassing our dear friend Kato (by far).

But what I'm often astounded at -- not by the aforementioned circus performer -- is just how biased some are. Oh, sure, people are fans and I get that but I really strive for fairness. Why is it so difficult to have some respect for other teams and players?

Now, before you come at me, yes I've definitely stirred the pot but the truth is I've written at length about the respect I have for real fans. I also -- and you can look it up! -- congratulate every opponent after my team gets bounced. Damn, it hurts, but it's only fair.

So it is tonight that I saw Jerry Koosman, a fine pitcher for the Mets, Twins, White Sox, and Phillies, got his number retired. I dig it. I do. "Koos" is easily in the top five of Mets pitching all-time and was the guy who wrapped up the '69 World Series.

Why not tip my cap?

Incidentally, I'll always hear Koosman's name in Bob Murphy's voice. "Jerry Kooooozmehn is on the mound for the Mets."

Nope. The antagonist in this journalism drama -- written by Stephen J. Cannell*, no doubt -- will never see any good outside of his or her own little lair.

*Should it be a Quinn Martin Production? (If you know, you know)

I respect greatness. I've told this story before but it's worth repeating. I went to a bunch of Rangers games years ago. The first time was a preseason game against the Devils. I mentioned that it was cool to be able to say I saw Martin Brodeur, the legendary goalie. I wasn't going to cheer for him. I didn't applaud when his name was mentioned.

But wow did I get grief for it from the person I went with.

I felt the same about seeing other great stars. I loved watching Roger Clemens pitch against the Yankees. I enjoyed seeing Barry Bonds in person -- striking out against Mariano Rivera. 

Even George Brett, forever my arch enemy, received my respect. These guys -- in Cooperstown or otherwise -- are the legends of the game.

Why act like a ten-year-old all the time, booing these greats? I just stay silent if I don't like them.

So I wholeheartedly congratulate Jerry Koosman on having his number retired. As I am a tough judge of retired numbers, I respect the job the Mets have done in not overdoing it. I know I'm already reading how people like Johnny "From Brooklyn" Franco should have his 45 retired, along with Tug McGraw.

Look, I loved Tug, but stop. You know Tug actually pitched longer with the Phillies, right? It's his joyous celebration of winning the World Series in 1980 that is iconic in the City of Brotherly Love.

Shall we retire former Greenwich High School pitching coach (and former Met) Craig Swan while we're at it?

People just want to give out retired numbers and Hall of Fame plaques with little thought. Everybody gets a trophy!

(These are the same people who think Harold Baines should be in the Hall. Yikes.)

I respect the Mets and actually have long-lamented how the Yankees, Celtics, and others have gone to extremes. 

When -- I ask you! -- will Dooley Womack get his number 58 retired? Monument Park won't be right until then!

I've never even advocated for Bobby Murcer (whose number one is more deserved than Billy Martin, for what it's worth).

So there you go. I give the Mets and others plenty of credit where credit is due. Yet that's something I'm always having to fight.

It just doesn't seem...er...fair.


No comments: