Tuesday, December 31, 2019

End of the Line

The brains behind it all: Chico and that man, 12/31/19
Well it's all right, even when push comes to shove
Well it's all right, if you got someone to love
Well it's all right, everything'll work out fine
Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line
-- End of The Line, the Traveling Wilburys (1988 -- Dylan, Harrison, Lynne, Orbison, Petty)

We've reached the last stop on the Project 365 train.

We began the journey with two posts to end 2018, but officially climbed on board on Jan 1, 2019.

We fought sleep, late nights, computer problems, internet issues, mental blocks, and life to write these 365 (or 367) posts.

If I had started this post 12 hours ago, as I thought I might, it would have had a darker, more sinister tone.

Tonight, after a long talk and a great day of laughs and a good radio show, I sit here feeling much better about life and my world.

Now, I'd like the rest of the world to be better.

Do better.

Trust me, we all have a lot of work to do. Yet, at the end of the day, speaking for me, I feel pride.

First and foremost, I'm proud of surviving. Simply getting up everyday is an achievement, and everyone should recognize that about themselves. And so, when thinking about "goals," I think about just that: surviving.

To me, the ability to "figure things out" is something to be proud of. It means that you're always prepared and you'll find a way.

I have. And I will.

Compartmentalize it all. Start by getting out of bed.

Sure, I'm proud of these posts. I'm proud that John Nash and I took this project on. I'm so impressed by his writing. He's also full of crap, in that he also did "P365" but he stubbornly shortened it to "P364" due to some wayward sleep.

I had a to write a post late at night in San Francisco, which was after midnight in New York. I cut myself the slack to stay on schedule, and I still believe I did.

But, we achieved it, dammit!

When thinking back on the year, I realize that there were highs and lows -- both personally and professionally. Isn't that every year? But, I suppose there were a few things that I wrote that I liked. My belief has always been that, if it hits me emotionally, then I've done something worthwhile.

To be honest, I don't really feel like choosing those highlights tonight. I'll leave those to you to ponder.

There were meaningful things about my dad, Sean, friends, loved ones, personal struggles, good times, bad times (you know I've had my share), and trips to Family Court. Among many other topics.

I don't know that I'm talked out but I just figure that we'll be right back at it, most likely tomorrow. So I don't think there's much of a point to droning on about the "end" of this journey.

Doors close and doors open. So it goes.

Five years ago tonight, I wrote in a post that I have things that I want. I'm not there yet, but we can continue to hope.

I didn't envision the Hudson Valley Renegades gig five years ago. Now, I can't wait to get it started.

That's just it. Sure, we can wish. Sure, we can set goals. But they need to be attainable and they further need to be ready for whatever happens.

You never know.

Ad-libbing. Adjusting. Necessary skills. Life moves pretty fast, you know. You probably know that quote from a Mr. Bueller.

I don't need tonight/tomorrow for a fresh start. Any day will do. Like today.

Let's move on. As always, keep moving forward.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." -- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gastby (1925).

This is the end of Project 365, but hardly the end of "Exit 55."

Last stop. End of the road.

"And in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you make." -- Lennon/McCartney (actually...just McCartney)

End of the line, folks. I wish you peace.

And I'll probably see you tomorrow. New journeys await.
 

No comments: