Monday, December 09, 2019

The Countdown Continues

That's number 23, Don Mattingly

We start today with 23 posts remaining on our odyssey.

It's one of those nights where I just feel nothing.

I'm not interested in arguing about the Hall of Fame anymore. Put Ted Simmons in. Heck, put Mackey Sasser in while you're at it.

Or Butch Wynegar.

I love the Hall but it's changed. It's not about fame. It's not about the best players anymore. It's about politics and cronyism (in the case of the various Veterans Committees). It's become the Hall of Sort of Good and Occasionally Great.

Not that the greats aren't getting in. But it's further watered down.

So, yes, come on in Ted Simmons. Certainly a good catcher, but at no time was he someone who I had among the dominant catchers of the era. Bench? Yes. Munson? Um...YES. Fisk? Of course. Ted Simmons was fourth at best in that era.

I don't mind Simmons getting in, but the lack of respect for Munson is astounding. I've also said for many years that I wouldn't have put Munson (and, basically, all of the 2019 nominees) in the Hall but, again, the standards have changed.

I've also been suitably ripped for my passionate take about the Nike swoosh appearing on the front of Major League Baseball jerseys which, apparently, MLB took extra money to allow.

There are words I'd like to use. I won't.

One genius on Twitter (with no followers and following nobody) told me, essentially, to shut the bleep up because they look "dope."

To which I responded that I only saw one dope and no followers.

Oh, and twice I got told I was a boomer. Now, it's rather pedantic of me, but being born in 1968 doesn't make me a "boomer."

So, bye...er...Felicia.

I also found myself in a small Eli Manning/Ben Roethlisberger debate. That was probably the nicest debate of the day! If a Waffle House was nearby, Tim, Ron and I could hash (brown) it out over some All-Star Specials.

But, alas.

So, that's where we are.

We'll be down to 22 to go after I hit "publish" and I really don't want to give out. I don't even want to stop but, unlike Cal Ripken, I'll hopefully know when to take a day off.

Oh, did I open another debate?

No comments: