Thursday, December 19, 2019

Thanks to Trumbull


It was just about a year ago that Jeff Alterman started picking my brain about the idea of an internet radio outlet for Trumbull High School sports.

I put an Eagles basketball game on Robcasting to show him how simple the setup can be and to show him what kind of equipment was needed. From there, we talked a lot during the winter and spring to help him get started.

TEN  -- the Trumbull Eagles Network -- went live in June for the first time with the Black and Gold spring football game. I was pleased to be the lead broadcaster, working with Jeff and Paul Silverfarb.

Sadly, I wasn't able to join TEN for football season, but Jeff and I continued to stay in touch throughout the year.

Jeff asked me to come to the Eagles' football banquet tonight as a way to say thank you. While completely unnecessary, I was pleased to join them in Monroe.

I've known Trumbull head coach Marce Petroccio for roughly 20 years, and Coach P welcomed me like an old friend. He didn't know I was going to be there but made a point of having me stand up and take a bow in front of the assembled crowd, though I'm sure most of them said: "Who's that?"

That was very kind of him to do, and I appreciated the crowd's response.

They rolled through the presentation of various gifts and quick speeches, followed by a wrap-up video, and we were out the door in roughly 2.5 hours.

In the future, that video could easily include TEN play-by-play highlights, but right now they're still getting their legs underneath them.

Jeff welcomed any criticism that I had, specifically asking me to listen to a few games. It will be fun to watch them develop.

Some things can't be helped, as Jeff and company have come to appreciate the various pratfalls that I've dealt with, such as equipment problems, shoddy internet, and other delights.

Moving forward, on occasion, I'll come around to try and not screw things up for them. I'll call a few games, as we're looking into basketball, and I've at least got them thinking about hockey. Plus they have a great baseball setup at Trumbull High School that I'm very familiar with, having almost lived in there a few times. Well, maybe not, but I felt like I could sleep there.

Those Babe Ruth tournaments, along with high school and American Legion games, were always fun.

Oh, and I sort of like calling baseball (and softball).

Now, before you jump the gun on me leaving Greenwich, Brunswick, Mahopac, etc, Trumbull is in addition to that. As you know, I will literally go anywhere to call a game at any level while helping train broadcasters or simply helping out.

So, we'll see if the schedule works out (like, perhaps, Friday, Jan 3 against Fairfield Ludlowe).

As for tomorrow, we're back to hockey for the last broadcast before Christmas, as Carmel and Mahopac meet again. As with last Friday, if the Brewster Ice Arena internet works, we'll have the game live on Robcasting. If not, I'll post it in the archive. Regardless, the game will air on WON 920 The Apple on Saturday.

With this post down, we've now hit a mere 11 remaining in 2019.

And rolling right into 2020.

No comments: