Sunday, December 22, 2019

The 2019 Greenwich Winter Classic

Dec 2018
For the third year in a row, Greenwich High School will host a day of outdoor hockey at the Greenwich Skating Club.

This year, they've added a third game: a junior varsity game featuring Darien versus GHS at 8 a.m.

The GHS girls varsity team plays New Canaan at Noon, while GHS boys varsity plays Darien at 4 p.m.

All three games will be on Robcasting.

It's possible the latter two will be on WGCH. We'll likely have that decision set by the end of tomorrow.

There's also a Greenwich Athletic Foundation/Local Live video stream.

As of now, they've dug to the bottom of the barrel and asked me to call the JV game on GAF/Local Live.

Again, that will run on Robcasting also.

Apparently, there are fathers that call the girls games. So if they're not interested, then they'll give the call to the backup (yeah, that's me).

And as for the boys games, I'll stick to just being on Robcasting.

That call goes to the highest bidder and that's not me.

This is not a money-maker for me, but I did have a lot of fun last year.

Plus, I like traditions.

And I like the idea of the JV being treated to a professional broadcast.

So, whether on video, audio webstream or terrestrial radio, I'm going to show up and call it.

I've asked two people to join me for analysis, and I'll reveal who they are once those pieces are in place.

Now to the "let's not make a big deal about this" portion of the post:

To be honest, this will also likely signal the end of my covering Greenwich hockey. They seem to have what they want broadcasting-wise, so I'll likely stick to Brunswick and the FCIAC (as well as Mahopac, Carmel, and anyone else that wants me) beginning in 2020.

I think I'm fairly unnecessary, and we (WGCH/Robcasting) can't seem to find sponsors.

This is no great farewell threat and is certainly subject to change, but I felt it was something I should share with you.

I did it for 21 seasons. I called several FCIAC championships for GHS (and would have called one more last year if I hadn't been outbid). I even tried to leave the hospital the day Sean was born for another FCIAC championship but instead called in from the hospital to say hello.

This doesn't mean I won't cover the Cardinals. I'll still talk about them on Doubleheader and call games as assigned by Local Live. If WGCH wants to climb back in, then OK. Yes, there are most definitely exceptions.

It just feels like it might be time.

It's just how it goes, I guess.

No comments: