Monday, December 30, 2019

Times Change. So Do Frequencies (Temporarily)


**NOTE: WGCH is temporarily broadcasting on 105.5 FM, with either no signal or a limited signal on 1490 AM. Our 105.5 FM frequency is based in Stamford, CT and can only be heard in Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, and part of Westport, as well as a small area around those towns. Of course, there are various circumstances that impact this.

I got an email on Saturday, telling me to make sure to promote 105.5 FM during our hockey coverage.

Er...wait...what?

The story of the WGCH radio town and transmitter site is almost as long as we've been on the air. We first established the site in 1964, when we went on the air.

By the time I came along in 1997, we were nosing around for a new site. Our efforts came up empty and we continued at the same site, located at 177 W. Putnam Ave.

But "circumstances out of our control" caused us to have to come up with a new game plan. We were told to vacate the small building by Dec 31.

To do so meant that we'd likely have to leave 1490 AM temporarily, where we have been for 55 years.


After considering our options, the decision was made to put us on a small rebroadcaster frequency.

Thus, WGCH is now on 105.5 FM.

I was proud to be the first promote it during the hockey games.

So it was at 1:00 p.m. today that Clark Burgard, Bob Small, and WGCH owner Rocco Forte were at the transmitter building. The building is important to have, especially in case of emergency, as it would give WGCH a place to broadcast from.

It was never needed...until today. As Darby and Friends went off the air, Clark, Bob, and Rocco took over...



Honestly, I wish I was there (I didn't know they were doing this).

But with that, the transmitter was turned off. When I visited the site a few hours later, it was cleaned out.

Now, what does this mean? It means that -- for the time being -- we're on 105.5 FM, with the signal being especially strong in the eastern parts of Greenwich (Cos Cob, Riverside, Old Greenwich) and on into Stamford (which the frequency is officially licensed to), Darien, Norwalk, and fades into Westport.

Our 1490 signal is weak (at best) and, essentially, off the air.

This is a temporary situation, though I hope we retain the FM frequency as well, but understand that I'm not speaking officially for the station.

As Clark says in the audio above, it's an exciting time, and I hope it is, though I felt a tad wistful as I listened.

It's good for us as we move forward.

But -- and I can't say this clearly enough -- it will remain business as usual. We are still on the air! WGCH.com is alive and well, and you can find us on the radio at 105.5 FM (and double check 1490 AM from time to time).


No comments: