Tuesday, December 24, 2019

We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes



Well, it's almost over.

It's Christmas Eve.

Once again, Sean is with me on Christmas Eve. I'll drop him off in the morning.

So, we make the best of the time that we have.

Times have changed for us. We long remember Christmas Eve, 2013 when my mother was in rehab following open-heart surgery.

My sister, her family, and Sean and I opted to join her in the rehab center for a pizza dinner in the common area.

We followed that with a visit to the Setti's holiday decoration display in Norwalk. Snow fell later in the evening and it made for a dangerous drive home. I can still remember sliding down a hill on Route 137 in Pound Ridge and trying to not let Sean know how nervous I was.

Seconds later, a hand began massaging my shoulder.

"You seem a little tense," he said.

Last year, we began a new tradition in which we picked a movie that we wanted the other to see. Unfortunately, he had nothing in mind for me this year and it seemed like the tradition was one and done.

I'm not going to lie. I was bummed. My emotions had been riding a bit of a bad wave this week and this seemed to kill it. The night appeared to be destined to being him on his computer and me watching "The Big Bang Theory."

My plan was to have him watch Psycho, and Susan even bought me a streaming copy from Apple.

That was enough for him.

"Let's watch that," he said. "I'm sorry I didn't come up with one this year."

It was hard to say no.

I realize Psycho isn't really scary in 2019. Scary is watching the 1998 version with Vince Vaughn. It's scary how bad that one is.

The original 1960 version still stands up for brilliant direction and storytelling. I still marvel at the shower scene.


It's still an incredible movie.

We ate leftover pizza, talked about the movie, and kept the night quite simple.

It all turned out just fine.

With that, I wish you all well.

May we find some version of peace, love, and happiness.

No comments: