Wednesday, January 01, 2020

You're Not Getting Rid of Me That Easily

That was yesterday...

Well then, it looks like we've put more coins in the "Exit 55" game, haven't we? So, let's move on!

Mick texted me yesterday to say how proud he was of my completing Project365, and to remind me that I could take a mental health break from it whenever I needed or wanted.

I appreciated it and assured him I was not looking to be Cal Ripken Jr.

In other words, I'm not planning to hang around at the possible expense of hurting the team.

That team consisting, mostly, of me and, mentally I can hurt me or the blog by forcing it. But there's more to #TeamDJ (a nickname I acquired) than just yours truly.

My son, for instance. It's amazing how our kids can drive us nuts, but I missed him last night, no matter how much I detest everything to do with Dec 31. He was kind to text me just after midnight.

Thankfully, the nonsense is all over, and we can get back to normal tomorrow.

As always, I strive to get better. I can't change what "ringing in the new year" is like (whatever the hell that means) but I can change how I handle my reaction to it.

It was a lonely night (jeez. I almost quoted Mellencamp) at Casa Exit 55. Chico and I hung out. I had a buttered roll for dinner. We never turned the TV on. We listened to some old Imus highlights and had The Beatles Channel on Sirius XM on for a stretch.

They're playing all of the lads' studio recordings from 1962-1970 in order, and I'm a dork. So, yes, I enjoyed what I heard.

*****
There will be the Winter Classic today, plus bowl games that have come to be, sadly, meaningless. I'll likely see none of it, saving my energy for tonight's Doctor Who premiere that Sean won't be here for. I worry that the writing has been so bad that even he has lost interest. He still hasn't seen all of last season.

I suppose what eats at me most on days like today is how my time is never my own. Why is there no podcast these days? Because there's always...something to do. And when there isn't, my body says "I'm done" and collapses. So, at that point, it's either try to catch a little sleep or just lie in a slug-like position.

Find time to take a walk? Ride my bicycle (bet you didn't know I even owned one)? Read? Ha, I say.

The podcast gnaws at me because 1) a few reviews were meh and 2) it took a lot of work. Then add in 3) I don't really love my home studio setup. Yes, for you audio types I have a mixer, mics, and can even rig up a phone setup.

However, my computers (this MacBook included) are all s-l-o-w at best. I still need to visit Apple to see if there are any realistic (key word) options for this machine, or do I need to get a cheap (key word) Windows machine.

Plus setting up the studio takes time. So I'd like to work all of that out and then perhaps we can look to revive the podcast. Because, reviews and listens aside, I was enjoying coming up with the content. It was my own project.

You know, sort of like this blog that I've done for 13 years.

I also feel the podcast could also evolve into adding Renegades content, or that could be a whole separate podcast. Those are things I'm still thinking about.

*****
I see John Nash (still and always the co-conspirator) has posted his first thoughts of 2020. I'm so glad. I was worried that he would take today off.

I'm afraid to. I started writing this post last night, to be honest. This has become a habit. One that I like.

With a better computer (see? We're back there again) it would be easier.

*****
Greenwich Free Press ran a piece about the future of WGCH, with mega-quotes from me. Hopefully I said everything correctly (though it's East Meadow...not Longmeadow...and I probably misspoke). Clark Burgard called into yesterday's show to add to what I was saying and it was great to talk to him. WGCH is going to be just fine.

Oh, before we bail for today, thanks to Harold, whom I completely whiffed on mentioning in the Inspiration post of a few nights back. That guy has built such a great life with his family and I admire how he has run crazy for his kids and stayed sane (of course, both kids are runners, so I guess it makes sense). Wait. Check that. He'll tell you he's insane.

Anyway, he found another story about my joining the Renegades, this time in the Putnam County Courier.

So, away we go on 2020. I can predict the future: life goes on.

That's it.

Last note, "Exit 55" isn't a well-known blog, but it has a nice loyal following, and as of this morning, it received over 34,000 reads in 2019. I know blogs that get 34k as soon as they publish, for this me? That's not shabby. So, thanks. A lot.

No comments: