Friday, September 27, 2019

Time To Go Home



It's almost like it didn't happen.

Save for the blisters on my feet. And the head cold. Those are my souvenirs.

San Francisco came and went.

There wasn't enough time for a Giants game.

No time to get see Kezar Stadium or the Fillmore or the Kabuki Theater or the Cow Palace (all very "Rob-like" places to find).

Not enough time to get to Candlestick Point to send regards courtesy of Bobby Murcer (trust me, it wouldn't have been kind).

But...Candlestick was the site of the last Beatles concert, as well as a Paul McCartney concert to close it out.

Not enough time for the Embarcadero or the Presidio.

No, we'll need much more time in the future in San Francisco.

Oakland, too.

I'd like to come back and do it right.

But now I can at least say I've been here.

I've driven Lombard St. I've been to Fisherman's Wharf (just not for dinner). I've been on a cable car. I've traveled and walked on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Oh yeah, I saw some stuff.

I also worked and am proud of it. More importantly, my colleagues and friends seem pleased with it.

That works for me.

Chris, Scott, Mike, Andy, Eric, Liz and the team were just great. I just talk and assist where needed.

Some of them were able to enjoy the night in San Francisco. I joined them for dinner before returning to the room, taking meds and falling asleep.

Now, I'm trying to readjust to New York time before our flight.

As I write, I'm sitting in the lobby of the JW Marriott, sipping a cup of coffee in an armchair near a fire and listening to Tony Bennett and Ella Fitzgerald. "Elegant" is the first word that comes to my mind.

If only Mr. Bennett were here to give us a rendition of...come on, that one is too easy...


Lastly, and how fitting is this, Huey Lewis and the News (from Marin County -- north of the Golden Gate Bridge, mind you) released a single from their upcoming (and, as of now, possibly final) album. "Her Love is Killing Me" existed in a bootleg form as "Your Love is Killing Me" and has been a concert staple of theirs for several years.

It's pretty cool that they released it while I was out here.

So long, San Francisco, and thanks.

No comments: